Jim Gavin rubbishes rumours of Jason Sherlock's departure and Diarmuid Connolly's return
There was drama even before the Tralee throw-in tonight when Jason Sherlock turned up as part of the Dublin camp for their Allianz Football League showdown with Kerry.
And after watching his team suffer a 1-18 to 2-14 defeat in a Division One thriller, Dublin boss Jim Gavin later declared that Sherlock had never been gone from his management team at any time.
“Not in the least, no – not in the slightest,” Gavin said.
Since a newspaper report first appeared on Friday morning, claiming Sherlock was no longer part of the set-up, and with media unable to contact the Dublin camp for official comment, there was a widespread assumption that he was indeed gone.
But this was dramatically countered by Jayo’s presence in Austin Stack Park yesterday evening, with eir Sport footage showing the 1995 All-Ireland hero coming off the Dublin team bus beforehand.
“Why journalists, or how they report on conjecture and rumour ... that's your profession, not mine,” Gavin remarked after the game.
One of the reasons cited for Sherlock's absence was that his RTE documentary last year was not well received.
"I thought it was an excellent documentary. If you have not seen it. I'd highly recommend it," Gavin remarked.
Sherlock was not involved for Dublin’s opening two fixtures in Division 1 – a day-one defeat away to Monaghan and last Saturday night’s Croke Park victory over Galway.
On those occasions, his usual match-day role as team ‘runner’ was filled by fellow selector Paul Clarke.
Gavin also rubbished reports that Diarmuid Connolly was in one-on-one training with Bryan Cullen with a view to a return to the Dublin setup.
"I can confirm that is certainly not the case," he said.
"If any player wants to volunteer their time for inter-county football, we'll always look at them. The door has always remained open for any player who has been with us in the past or who wants to join us."