On Monday, the Irish Independent detailed a list of around 280 footballers who had either been released or departed their inter-county squads after the 2019 championship.
Those who left on their own terms did so because of work commitments, retirement and a desire to just step off the treadmill and draw breath.
Many more opted to travel, taking in South America, Asia, Australia, New Zealand with the hope of timing their journeys to be in the US this summer as the local football championships get up and running.
The sweltering fields in New York, Boston and Chicago have become increasingly popular for players willing to break from their inter-county commitment for a year to facilitate that move.
Among them were two of the 45 2019 PwC All-Star football nominees, Cavan's Conor Moynagh and Clare's Jamie Malone, who both, on the back of decent seasons personally, decided the time was right to see a bit of the world free from their football and work commitments.
Like many more, the global coronavirus pandemic has forced them to scale back their plans.
For all the latest sports news, analysis and updates direct to your inbox, sign up to our newsletter.
Malone is currently back in Clare since the start of March after travelling to south-east Asia and on to Australia and had been back training with his club with the intention of going to Boston in late May/early June.
But after making enquiries with contacts in the city in the last couple of days, he accepts that any prospect of completing the last leg of his travels this summer are "all but gone," with travel restrictions and the limited prospect of any football taking place in these cities.
"I was lucky to get home, I had no panic or didn't have to fork out extra for flights. It worked out in that regard," he says. He has looked into resuming travel much later in the year but that too looks unlikely.
"I have a career break from primary teaching (Talbot NS in Clondalkin) until September and I was hoping to get somewhere. I had been in touch with a few people in Boston, but it is unlikely to happen now," says Malone.
"The plan was to come home for a couple of months, do a bit with the club here but things are as they are now," he concedes. "I did look into extending my career break and travelling again but travel looks like it will be fairly compromised for the rest of the year. I don't want to leave myself in the lurch."
If there is a resumption of inter-county activity, Clare may well have one of their best players back on board. Moynagh is currently holed up in a house in Auckland, observing the strict stay-at-home policy the New Zealand government have implemented for a few weeks in the current crisis.
He had set out, via Canada last autumn, for South America along with Cavan colleague Dara McVeety, Dublin hurler Chris Crummy and two others. They stayed there until just after Christmas before Crummy went home and Moynagh pressed on for New Zealand.
"I hit New Zealand for two weeks and then was in Australia for a month, Melbourne for two weeks, Sydney for two weeks," he recalls.
"I was supposed to be renting a camper van and making my way up along the east coast, past Brisbane up to Cairns. It was just going to be myself travelling up but I had to cut that short. I afraid of getting caught there illegally, so I jumped back (to New Zealand).
"You can't change your visa while you are in Australia. I only had a 90-day visa so I left and came back to New Zealand to get a 12-month visa for both Australia and New Zealand so I should be covered wherever to ride this thing out until I decide to go home or not.
"I could see how things were progressing in Ireland and I could see that the borders - New Zealand and Australia have a lot more backpackers, a lot more visas than Ireland have - were going to close. I guessed they would close them quickly on short notice. I flew back before anything was said, left Sydney for Auckland."
As it happened, Australia has extended visas for anyone expiring in the next three months to September but Moynagh wasn't taking any chances.
He'll bide his time before deciding his next move, whether to try to return to Australia where there is an opportunity to work in the Sydney office of his employer HubSpot, go on to the west coast of America or just return home.
"The lure of football is what could drag me home, to be honest, it's a tough one. The hardest part about leaving was not to be involved with Cavan for the 2020 season.
"I've just turned 27, if I were to stay for a couple of years and I don't come home, you're facing an uphill battle trying to get back into when you are a few years away from it.
"In any other situation, you would be happy not to miss much football but given what we're facing you would much rather football to be going ahead," he acknowledges.
He's in regular contact with the Cavan management and his colleagues.
"Speaking to Niall Murray, Raymond Galligan and a few lads on the Cavan team and they were just saying that no one even talks about football any more in the WhatsApp group. It's all, 'How are things', 'how are the family', 'is everyone well', 'are you still sane'. There are more pressing matters."
Similarly, there is no feeling sorry for himself that his plans have been interrupted. "Worse things than my travel plans being cancelled, I can't complain too much."
Also back home in Clonmel after recent travels, having taken the year out with Tipperary, is Michael Quinlivan but, like Malone, he too is "waiting to see what happens" before he commits to his next move.
The former All-Star was one of five Tipp footballers who set off travelling after last year. A similar number of Longford footballers also left.