| 7.3°C Dublin

Hurley's late point seals it for St Mary's

A pointed close-range free in the fifth minute of injury-time from St Mary's full-forward Ciaran Hurley gave 14-man Edenderry a dramatic victory over Good Counsel, New Ross in this cracking quarter-final clash at Tinryland, Carlow.

Hurley's point was the only score registered by the Offaly side in the second half, after they had played with the aid of the wind in the first period.

St Mary's went in 1-6 to 0-5 ahead at the break thanks to Sean Haslim's goal.

The winners were reduced to 14 men on 49 minutes when centre-back Eoin Farrell received a second yellow card.

As a result, Good Counsel enjoyed a huge amount of possession in the second half, but it was a very slow process as they dragged themselves level with points from Tony French, Darren Foley, substitute Padraig Conway and midfielder Ciaran Butler.

But when St Mary's were awarded that vital late free, they hit the front again. The Wexford side still had time to go on all-out attack, but when Edenderry gained possession and cleared, the final whistle sounded.

Scorers -- St Mary's: S Haslim 1-1, C Hurley 0-4, S Doyle 0-2. Good Counsel: T French, J Tubritt (2f) 0-2 each, P Curtis, G Foxe, D Foley, C Butler, P Conway (f) 0-1 each.

St Mary's -- C Cummins; E Holton, T Hickey, C McNamee; L Pender, E Farrell, P Foy; D Grehan, D Flynn; S Haslim, C Nolan, S Doyle; G Leech, C Hurley, H Morrin. Subs: D Cummins for Pender (48), G Blong for Doyle (55).

Good Counsel -- T Aylward; S Doyle, C Foran, P Cody; G Foley, J Tubritt, K Burke; C Butler, S O'Gorman; R Tubrid, T French, P Curtis; G Foxe, D Foley, N Colfer. Subs: M Mansfield for Tubrid (inj 33), P Conway for Mansfield (inj 36); D Doyle for S Doyle (58).

Ref -- B Hickey (Kildare).

McKeever magic fires Dundalk into semis

Dundalk Colleges 4-7 Colaiste IosagAin 1-5

CONAL McKeever's solo goal sent Dundalk Colleges on their way to the semi-finals at Lakepoint Park, Mullingar yesterday.

With the teams level at a point apiece in the 17th minute, Shane Thornton forced the ball to the net from close range when the Iosagain defence failed to clear a Sean McAuley free.

Four more unanswered points left the Louth side ahead by 1-5 to 0-1 at the interval.

Colaiste Iosagain got a major boost within three minutes of the resumption when Richard Reynolds converted a penalty kick after Shane Lawless was fouled.

However, McKeever's magic soon put Dundalk's back in control, before Patrick Reilly and the outstanding Ciaran Byrne found the net to settle matters.

SCORERS -- Dundalk Colleges: C Byrne 1-5 (4f), S Thornton, P Reilly, C McKeever 1-0 each, A Murray, A Sharkey 0-1 each. Colaiste Íosagáin: R Reynolds 1-0 (pen), S McAuley 0-2 (1f), T Brereton, K McGrath (f), S Lawless 0-1 each.

Dundalk Colleges -- C Taaffe; K Lenehan, D Smith, R Williams; J Thornton, D McMahon, S McAuley; P Reilly, J Stewart; K Hearty, A Murray, G Traynor; C Byrne, S Thornton, C McKeever. Subs: A Sharkey for Traynor (inj 27), C Doyle for Murray (44), R Quigley for Hearty (60).

Colaiste Íosagáin, Portarlington -- T Brereton; J Hyland, H Weldon, S McGrath; R Reynolds, B Crombie, D Barron; K McGrath, K Bracken; C Murphy, E Finlay, R Galvin; S Lawless, S McCauley, P Cunningham. Subs: B Sweeney for Finlay (45), D O'Connor for Murphy (47), M O'Reilly for Barron (59).

Ref -- M McAdden (Westmeath).

Irish Independent