Monday 20 November 2017

Honan goals flatten UL

Marie Crowe

Marie Crowe

EXTRA-TIME goals proved to be the difference as UCC qualified for the final of the Waterford Crystal Cup after they overcame UL yesterday in Buttevant by 4-16 to 2-14.

The reigning Fitzgibbon Cup holders, UCC were within five minutes of being beaten as they trailed by 2-9 to 0-10 after 55 minutes.

UL upped their game in the second half, substitute David Burke sent over some fine dead balls and Michael Gleeson added a second goal to the one he scored in the first half.

That was before a late UCC scoring burst, including a goal by Eoghan Murphy, to force the extra 20 minutes. The sides were level, 1-13 to 2-10, at the full-time whistle.

In extra-time, UL had no answer as Murphy and Darach Honan struck for first-period goals to give themselves a cushion, and Honan wrapped up the win in injury-time with his second goal.

In the Leinster Colleges SFA quarter-finals, reigning champions St Mary's of Edenderry had to dig deep to earn a 1-11 to 1-8 victory over St Benildus College, Dublin.

In what was a keenly contested game in Ballyfore, St Benildus grabbed an early initiative with a super goal from Colm Egan.

However, the Offaly students soon took control and they led by 1-9 to 1-3 at half-time.

The Dublin side gave their all in the second half but never looked capable of salvaging the game.

A consummate second half display in Athy secured a semi-final spot for Árdscoil na Tríonóide.

They held opponents St Peter's scoreless for the final 30 minutes, finishing deserved winners on a scoreline of 1-11 to 0-5.

The home side were level with their Wexford opponents at the break but three pointed frees from Liam McGovern sent them on their way.

Niall Kelly's brilliant goal in the 55th minute secured the verdict for the south Kildare men.

Moate CS were unable to repeat their 2009 triumph over St Pat's at Pairc Tailteann as Colm O'Rourke's charges cruised home with a 2-11 to 0-9 victory .

Fiachra Ross' first-half goal helped St Pat's establish a 1-7 to 0-5 interval advantage and when Shane Barry's 53rd-minute sideline kick deceived everybody and bounced into the Moate net, a semi-final- spot was guaranteed for the Meath men.

Six in-a-row chasing Cork bowed out of the All-Ireland VS SHC at the quarter-final stage in Thomastown yesterday. They fell short against Kilkenny, ending the game on a final score of 1-8 to the Cats' 3-8.

The outstanding Conor Tobin sealed Kilkenny's passage to the last four with an insurance score in stoppage time, for his fourth accurate free of a gripping contest.

Sunday Independent

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport