Wednesday 13 December 2017

Gill weaves his magic to earn victory for Rathnew

Veteran Tommy Gill weaved his magic at the start of the second half in Aughrim yesterday to help Rathnew through to their 14th county final in 17 years.

Blessington would have fancied their chances at half-time, as they turned over to play with the wind trailing the county champions by just four points, 0-7 to 0-3.

But in the first minute of the second half Gill drilled a shot to the Blessington net, before floating over two super points from the right touch-line.

Blessington did produce a late five-point rally, but they needed those scores much earlier, plus a goal, if they were going to make a game of it at the finish.

  • Baltinglasss will meet St Patrick's in the other semi-final after beating Bray Emmets 2-8 to 0-8 in their quarter-final replay.

Scorers -- Rathnew: T Gill 1-4, L Glynn 0-5, J Stafford, B Mernagh, N Mernagh 0-1 each. Blessington: D Siney 0-6, D Behan 0-2, A McLoughlin, Mick McLoughlin 0-1 each.

Rathnew -- P Dignam; S Byrne, D Power, C Healy; D Franey, S Canavan, E Glynn; S Kavanagh, J Stafford; P Merrigan, N Mernagh, B Mernagh; T Gill, M Doyle, L Glynn. Subs: J Merrigan for E Glynn, P Ronan for B Mernagh.

Blessington -- D Nolan; B Murphy, B O'Donovan, D Fennessy; S Flanagan, W Callaghan, K Rogers; G Murray, E Keogh; J Daniels, D Behan, M McLoughlin; D Siney, P McLoughlin, A McLoughlin. Subs: B McGarr for G Murray, K Hanlon for D Fennessy, P Brophy for E Keogh.

Ref -- D Byrne (Kiltegan).

Disciplinary headache for Wicklow chiefs

Wicklow disciplinary chiefs have two headaches to sort out from two crucial games in the intermediate football championship.

The game between Shillelagh and Ashford at Aughrim was abandoned by the referee Gareth Whelan because of the abuse he received before and after he sounded the half-time whistle.

He flashed a red card in the direction of a Shillelagh player as they walked towards the dressing-rooms for the break, having earlier issued a straight red card to an Ashford player after 10 minutes.

Shillelagh, who needed to win by 21 points to overhaul Aughrim's better score difference in the battle for a last-four position, were only leading by a point, 2-3 to 1-5, when the match was abandoned.

Meanwhile, at Ashford, referee Eddie Leonard issued five straight reds in the last quarter, three to Aughrim players and two to Eire Og Greystones. Three players were red-carded in the one incident.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport