Tuesday 21 November 2017

Game At A Glance

Man of the match

Orla Bannon

Jamie Clarke (Armagh)

Pure class. He bagged 2-3 and gave an exhibition in how to show for the ball and bring team-mates into play. He set up numerous scores for others – his assists must have run into double figures.


The penalty after three minutes. It was a harsh call on Wicklow – and once Clarke added a second goal two minutes later, it was game over.


How poor were Wicklow? They came to the Athletic Grounds two years ago and took Armagh to a replay but they were beaten all ends up yesterday. Considering the hard game they gave Leinster finalists Meath a few weeks ago, this was quite a fall from grace.


The entire 65 minutes Clarke was on the pitch. Quite apart from his 2-3 from play, the way he won the ball and brought others into the play was a treat to watch. Thoroughly deserved the standing ovation he received from the Armagh fans.


Derek Fahy made the decision which effectively decided the result, awarding Armagh a penalty after just three minutes for a jersey tug which even Clarke admitted was outside the large square. Given the one-sided nature of the contest, he sensibly kept his cards in his pocket though there was so little intensity to the game he didn't need to get involved.


Paul Grimley (Armagh manager):

"We needed that, anything less than that today would have been catastrophic. We've got the doubts out of our heads."

Harry Murphy (Wicklow manager):

"We're devastated. We knew it was going to be tough coming up here but we ran into a wall today. I'm lost for words."



Armagh 7 (3 first half)

Wicklow 8 (2)


Armagh 18 (12)

Wicklow 12 (5)

Yellow cards:

Armagh 2 (J Hanratty 66, B Mallon 70)

Wicklow 1 (B Coen 42)

Red cards:

Armagh 0

Wicklow 0


Armagh go into the Round 2 qualifier draw, Wicklow bow out.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport