Monday 21 May 2018

Galway and Roscommon set up final meeting

GALWAY 0-9 MAYO 0-7 Connacht U21FC semi-finals

Shane Walsh kicked two late points to edge Galway into the decider past their greatest rivals Mayo at Tuam Stadium yesterday.

Shane Walsh kicked two late points to edge Galway into the decider past their greatest rivals Mayo at Tuam Stadium yesterday.

Walsh hit six points in total, as Mayo failed to silence the Galway danger man, who followed up on last Monday's heroic performance against Sligo in the quarter-final to clinch a spot in the final against Roscommon.

Both sides failed to finish the first half with their full complement as Mayo's Conor Horan picked up his second yellow card after 20 minutes, while Galway corner-back Liam Silke follow him to the line seven minutes later for a similar offence.

Referee Paddy Neiland showed a total of nine yellows and two red cards in the first half, but after the restart the game flowed as Walsh and Mayo senior Cillain O'Connor did battle.

By the break, Galway had worked themselves into a 0-4 to 0-3 lead, but O'Connor levelled the match with a free after the restart.

He added another nine minutes from time to keep Mayo within a point after a Galway flurry, but Walsh powered on in the closing stages with two points from play to clinch a final spot in two weeks.

Scorers – Galway: S Walsh 0-6 (2f), A Varley, C Mulryan, D Comer 0-1 each. Mayo: C O'Connor 0-4 (3f), E Regan 0-2 (2f), D Kirby 0-1.

Galway: T Healy; L Silke, J Shaughnessy, E Walsh; M Loughnane, D Burke, P Varley; F O Curraoin, D Comer; C Mulryan, S Moran, P Cunningham; S Walsh, A Varley, G Kelly. Subs: C Rabbitte for Cunningham (h-t), S Maughan for Kelly (38), E O hEochaidh for Moran (53), I Burke for A Varley (57), G Canavan for Comer (59).

Mayo: P Mannion; B Harrison, N Freeman, A Butler; C Horan, C Walsh, E Collins; D Kirby, M Forde; A Gallagher, E Regan, F Durkan; D Coen, C O'Shea, C O'Connor. Subs: J Shaughnessy for Gallagher (42), E Jordan for Durkan (44), E Lavin for Coen (49), K Rutledge for Regan (59).

Referee: P Neilan (Roscommon).

Roscommon 4-10

Leitrim 2-8

Roscommon crushed Leitrim's challenge with a superb first-half performance that put them ahead by 4-5 to 0-4 at half time in Kiltoom.

The Rossies had a great start with Colm Compton's goal and a Diarmuid Murtagh point in the first two minutes.

A shell-shocked Leitrim replied with three frees by the ninth minute. But Roscommon went back into overdrive again and went 11 points ahead in the next 11 minutes.

A goal and a point by Cian Connolly, a second goal by Compton, plus points from Murtagh and Thomas Corcoran gave the Rossies command.

Scorers – Roscommon: C Compton 2-1, C Connolly, D Smith 1-1 each, K Murtagh 0-3 (2f), T Corcoran (f), D Murray, S Killoran, E Smith 0-1 each. Leitrim: S Moran 0-5 (5f), C Gilheaney, M Beirne 1-0 each, M McWeeney, P McGowan, C Guckian 0-1 each.

Roscommon: T Lowe; D Murray, R Timoney, C Cafferkey; M Connaughton, J McManus, C Daly; F Kelly, T Corcoran; S Killoran, C Connolly, F Cregg; D Smith, C Compton, C Murtagh. Subs: M Flaherty for Keenan (22), E Kenny for Compton (37), E Smith for Corcoran (37), M Holland for Cregg (52), D McDermott for Daly (62).

Leitrim: B Flynn; M Murphy, D Keane, M Clancy; S Quinn, J Rooney, M McGourty; D Wynne, C Guckian; D Flynn, T Mulvey, M McWeeney; J Mulligan, S Moran, K Boyle.

Referee: S Hehir (Galway).

Irish Independent

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport