Thursday 22 February 2018

Forward ace De Poire saves the day for Coláiste Eoin in late drama

De Poire saved a late penalty in the first round tie against Coláiste Mhuire of Clane. Photo by Piaras Ó Mídheach/Sportsfile
De Poire saved a late penalty in the first round tie against Coláiste Mhuire of Clane. Photo by Piaras Ó Mídheach/Sportsfile Sportsdesk

Dara de Poire was the hero for Coláiste Eoin as he switched from centre-forward to between the posts and saved a late penalty in their Top Oil Leinster Schools' SFC 'A' first round tie against Coláiste Mhuire of Clane.

His dramatic intervention after their first-choice 'keeper Tadhg Ó Braonáin received a black card with five minutes remaining prevented Scoil Mhuire from hitting a hat-trick of penalties.

Coláiste Eoin held out to advance by 1-11 to 2-7 in what was by far the closest of six first round games held yesterday.

Kildare minor star Ciaran Kelly had actually scored a penalty in either half for Coláiste Mhuire, but de Poire - who was goalkeeper with the Leinster Championship-winning Dublin minor hurlers in 2016 - denied him a third with a full-length save.

Midfielder Eoin MacGiolla Phádraig also starred with a personal tally of 1-3 for Coláiste Eoin, who will enter the Round 2 draw which takes place tomorrow.

It was a more memorable afternoon for another of the Kildare-based schools as Scoil Dara, Kilcock recorded a 3-18 to 0-6 win over St Fintan's, Sutton.


Boosted by an early goal from Ethan Devine - who top-scored with 2-5 - Scoil Dara surged further clear when Alan Byrne fired home, while Ciaran Smyth chipped in with three points.

A strong start also set 2013 champions St Pat's CS, Navan on their way to a big win over Coláiste éanna. Ahead by 2-7 to 0-3 at half-time, Cathal Finnegan and Paul Cunningham scored two goals each for the Colm O'Rourke-trained side.

Despite some fine saves from goalkeeper John Roe and a well-taken goal by Shane Kennedy, Coláiste éanna were always fighting an uphill battle, and the Navan side eased away to claim a 4-13 to 1-4 victory.

Meanwhile, Wicklow Schools defeated Drogheda Schools by 3-10 to 2-3 at Aughrim. Goals from Darragh Fitzgerald and Cathal Kelleher inspired them to a 2-5 to 1-2 interval lead, with Eoghan Callaghan responding with a goal for Drogheda Schools. A third goal for Wicklow Schools by Ross Coogan early in the second half finished the game as a contest.

Elsewhere, Moate CS laid down an early marker as they go in search of a first title, following a dominant display at home to Ardscoil na Tríonoide, Athy.

With their opponents unable to pose a scoring threat, Moate CS burst through for five first-half goals from Sean Pettit (two), Sean Clinton, Robert Forde and Ben Fox.

Moate continued at a relentless pace in the second half and in the closing ten minutes struck for further goals by Harry Cornally and Robert Forde, as they marched on by 7-28 to 0-0.

Indo Sport

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport