Friday 24 November 2017

Football wrap: Galway, Wexford, Westmeath and Meath victorious

Wrap of games outside the top division

Division 2

Galway got the better of Longford in an ding-dong battle at Pearse Park winning 3-11 to 3-07.


Michael Meehan and Donal mcElligot swapped early goals and the Tribesmen held a slim 1-6 to 1-5 lead at the break.


A brace of goals from Sean McCormack then put Glen Ryan’s men in control but a goal from Eoin Concannon levelled matters and Paul Conlon struck the net late on to give Galway the win.


Wexford produced a commanding second half performance to see off Louth by 2-13 to 2-09 in Drogheda with Shane Roche’s 1-5 crucial to the win.


Louth looked shell-shocked for most of that second period despite leading by two points at half-time.


However, it was their inability to make the most of the strong breeze that ultimately cost the Wee County and handed a surprise away win to Aidan O’Brien's Wexford side.


Westmeath maintained their unbeaten start to the league with a 1-10 to 1-8 win over 14-man Laois.


Ger Heavin grabbed an early goal for Westmeath but Laois gradually pegged the back and Gary Walsh’s goal gave them a 1-6 to 1-3 lead at the break.


Laois only added two more points in the second half as Westmeath took control and ran out winners.


Division 3


Meath bounced back from their embarrassing defeat to Cavan last week to beat Roscommon 2-11 to 0-12 at Dr Hyde Park.


Kevin Reilly scored Meath’s opening goal as his shot from halfway bounced over the goalkeeper and in.


Graham Reilly added a second before half-time as they led 2-6 to 0-3 at the break.


Roscommon scored four on the trot to give themselves a chance of an amazing comeback but it never materialised.


Antrim were held by a battling 13-man Wicklow in a bruising encounter at Aughrim.


Wicklow's Dean Healy was sent-off early in the first half, which ended with the dismissal of Antrim's Michael Herron.


It was 0-4 to 0-4 at the break but the game came to life on the restart with Jack Dalton's goal for Sligo.


Tomas McCann netted for Antrim before Anthony McLoughlin's goal and Stephen Byrne was red-carded for the Garden county as a tight affair ended in a draw.


Eugene Keating's last-gasp goal secured a dramatic draw for Cavan against Sligo at Markievicz Park.


Sligo gained control with a Shane McManus goal but Cavan fired over the last four points of the first half to trail 1-5 to 0-6 at the break.


Gearoid McKernan's two points brought Cavan level before Stephen Gilmartin netted to help the hosts move clear.


Sligo's Adrian McIntryre was sent-off as Cavan scored the final five points down to earn a draw.


On Saturday evening, Monaghan bounced back from a poor start to beat Fermanagh by 0-14 to 0-12 at Brewster Park.


Fermanagh got off to the better start with Paul Ward grabbing an early brace to give them a four point lead but Monaghan settled with Paul Finlay and Conor McManus impressing.


The Farney kicked eight of the last nine point of the half to lead 0-8 to 0-5 at the change of ends.


Fermanagh pushed Monaghan all the way but they held on for a two-point win.


Division 4


Ian Ryan scored seven points as Limerick narrwoly defeated Carlow by 0-10 to 0-9 at the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick.


Carlow held a slender 0-7 to 0-6 advantage at the break and in an arm-wrestle second half Limerick got it abck to nine points apeice before Ryan slotted home the winner.


Offaly scored a late, late winner to beat Leitrim in Carrick-on-Shannon by 0-9 to 0-8.


Wayne McKeon and Emlyn Mulligan brace gave Leitrim a good start against the Faithful county and they led 0-4 to 0-3 at the break.


Offaly scored the first three points of the second half but Mulligan had the sides level at seven points apiece by the hour mark.


Both sides swapped points before Offaly’s Michael Brazil popped up with the winning point.


Last night, London recorded a rare Division Four victory in Ruislip today defeating Niall Carew's Waterford 0-14 to 1-10.


London were fast out of the blocks and the Deise needed a Robert Aherne fisted goal to stay in touch but still trailed 0-10 to 1-6 at the break.


London managed to keep their noses in front in the second period to hold Waterford and win.


Tipperary were victorious over Clare in their Munster Derby in Ennis winning 1-13 to 1-10.


Tipp exerted control from the off and were 0-9 to 0-5 at the break.


Hugh Coughlan's fine solo goal gave Tipp some breathing room and the Banner struggled to make any inroads.


Alan Moloney of Tipp Enda Coughlan for Clare were sent off after a mass brawl late on as Tipp ran out comfortable winners.

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport