Monday 19 March 2018

Earley signs are positive that talisman will be back for Lilywhites

Colm Keys

Colm Keys

Dermot Earley received a boost yesterday after scans revealed that the knee injury which put him out of the All-Ireland quarter-final against Meath on Sunday is not as bad as initially feared.

Earley has battled through the current campaign with a severed cruciate ligament and it came back to haunt him once again in the early stages of the Royals encounter. He had to go off just two minutes into the match after the knee gave way while he was kicking the ball.

However, an MRI scan yesterday threw up results that weren't as bad as initially feared, according to Kildare selector Niall Carew.

"We're hopeful that Dermot will be alright for the Down match," said Carew.

"The results of the scan were not as bad as we had feared, so there is hope that he will be able to play.

"Dermot will rest up this week and then he will be doing a lot of rehab, but the signs are good that he will be back."

Earley's importance to the team this year could not be overstated, but the manner of Kildare's recovery after he went off underlined a strength of character that has developed in the side over the last six weeks.

Earley's replacement Hughie Lynch, in his first full season with the Lilywhites, stepped up to the mark impressively, but Kildare will give their natural leader every opportunity to make the All-Ireland semi-final with Down in just under four weeks.

Leading Sligo referee shown the red card

A leading Sligo referee has been banned for four weeks for verbal abuse towards a fellow referee after a club game.

Des Henry was given the sentence by the Sligo Competition Controls Committee after being reported for verbally abusing Eamonn McHale, who had been refereeing an underage game.

McHale is a relative newcomer to refereeing and Henry is understood to have been dissatisfied with his handling of the game.

A native of Tubbercurry, Henry is an underage mentor of the Drumcliffe/Rosses Point club.

Sligo County Board have not confirmed the suspension of the well-known referee, who officiated at the Sligo Senior League final between Tourlestrane and Eastern Harps in 2008.

Irish Independent

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport