Saturday 21 April 2018

Doyle kick-starts Rathnew's revival

Rathnew 0-12 Edenderry 0-11

Paul Merrigan (left) and Adam Merriman celebrate Rathnew’s win over Edenderry in their Leinster SFC clash
Paul Merrigan (left) and Adam Merriman celebrate Rathnew’s win over Edenderry in their Leinster SFC clash Newsdesk Newsdesk

Rathnew completed a sensational second-half comeback to clinch a dramatic win over Edenderry and set up a meeting with St Loman's in the Leinster quarter-final in two weeks.

Edenderry looked the only winners at half-time with Sean Doyle kicking seven first-half points, but a lightning start to the second half from Rathnew stunned the Offaly men.

In the end, it was a Jody Merrigan free that proved to be the winning score with regular free-taker Edward Doyle having received his marching orders five minutes from time.

Edenderry went into a 0-3 to 0-1 lead inside 11 minutes but Rathnew were finding gaps and they created two excellent goal chances. Sean Doyle carried on his good form from the Offaly county final to steer Edenderry into a 0-5 to 0-3 lead after 20 minutes. Doyle and Aaron McDonnell were working well in the full-forward line as they continued to rack up the scores.

Leighton Glynn kicked a superb point for Rathnew but Doyle kicked his seventh point of the half on 30 minutes with Edenderry 0-9 to 0-5 ahead at the break.

Rathnew needed a massive start to the second half and they certainly got it. Three points on the spin before the 35th minute, the pick of which from Graham Merrigan put them back to within a point of Edenderry. Black cards followed for Rathnew's Adam Merriman and Edenderry captain Sean Pender as the game hung in the balance with 15 minutes to play.

Edward Doyle levelled the game at 0-10 each on 49 minutes from a free before he kicked another from 45 metres to kick his side into the lead. The brilliant Sean Doyle restored parity on 55 minutes before referee Fergal Barry called back play to brandish a red card to Edward Doyle. Jody Merrigan pointed a free with three minutes to go and, with the last attack of the game, Edenderry blew their final chance to salvage extra-time.

Scorers - Rathnew: E Doyle 0-4 (3f), J Merrigan 0-2 (1f, 1 '45), E Glynn, R O'Brien, T Smyth, L Glynn, N Mernagh and G Merrigan 0-1 each. Edenderry: S Doyle 0-8 (3f), S Moriarty, A McDonnell and S Guing 0-1 each.

Rathnew - P Dignam; W Kavanagh, J Snell, P Merrigan; E Glynn, R O'Brien, J Manley; J Stafford, A Merriman; E Doyle, L Glynn, T Smyth; N Mernagh, J Merrigan, S Byrne. Subs: G Merrigan for W Kavanagh (29), J Byrne for A Merriman (42 BC), P Ellis for S Byrne (57).

Edenderry - C Hurley; S Pender, D Hanlon, A Pender; A Mahon, C Byrne, S Moriarty; R Dalton, S Guing; O Lawton, D Kelly, K McGuinness; J Hayes, A McDonnell, S Doyle. Subs: G Blong for S Pender (44 BC), C Hurley for D Kelly (44), S Cullen for S Moriarty (52), M Young for O Lawton (53).

Ref - F Barry (Kildare)

Leinster Club SFC, Round 1

Indo Sport

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport