| 17.9°C Dublin

Cuthbert gains little from seven-goal demolition job






It was one-way traffic for Cork in the opening game of their McGrath Cup defence at Mallow yesterday.

Thirty-seven points separated the sides at the end and it's likely that manager Brian Cuthbert learned little about those to whom he was giving a chance ahead of the National League.

Bar ensuring another game in the competition, against Tipperary next week, the game served little purpose and Cuthbert naturally didn't want to apply too much significance to it.

"It was what it was, to be honest," he said.

"Mary I is a very small college, when they're up against one of the counties it's going to be very difficult for them, I wouldn't be reading too much into it.

"I'd like to think that we're a bit more settled than a year ago and fellas are a bit more aware of what this is all about.

"We'll take it week by week, we're happy with the work we've done but we've a long, long way to go."

While Cork went 12 minutes without a point early in the first half, they led 0-9 to 0-1 before a trio of goals ensured they were more than comfortable at half-time. Jamie O'Sullivan, John Hayes, who finished with 1-5, and Fiachra O Deasunaigh all netted and the interval lead was 3-9 to 0-2.

The second half was still in its infancy when sub Eoin Cadogan - playing at midfield - got a fourth. Colm O'Neill and Donncha O'Connor, both of whom had been sprung from the bench too, added points.

Conor Rabbitt, who scored three of Mary I's four points, battled hard while captain Paul O'Connor, a former Kerry U-21, tried to influence things after moving to midfield but Cork were far too powerful.

Another Rebels sub, Colm O'Driscoll, got a fifth goal late on before O'Connor also got in on the act and O'Driscoll added his second in the dying minutes before Mary I were put out of their misery.

Scorers - Cork: J Hayes 1-5, C O'Driscoll 2-0, D O'Connor 1-3 (2fs), E Cadogan 1-1, C O'Neill 0-4 (1f, 1 '45), B Hurley 0-3 (2fs), J O'Sullivan, F Ó Deasúnaigh 1-0 each, D Hazel, M Cussen, K O'Driscoll, G Durrant 0-1 each. Mary Immaculate College: C Rabbitt 0-3 (1f), P O'Connor 0-1f.

CORK - K O'Halloran; L Jennings, S O'Donoghue, N Galvin; J O'Sullivan, P Hodnett, D Hazel; F Goold, M Cussen; K O'Driscoll, J O'Rourke, G Durrant; F O Deasunaigh, J Hayes, B Hurley. Subs: E Cadogan for Goold, C O'Neill for Hurley, D O'Connor for O'Rourke, J Loughrey for Galvin (all h-t), C O'Driscoll for Hayes (51), R Price for O'Halloran (54).

MARY IMMACULATE COLLEGE - A O'Connell (Cork); P Bane (Galway), J Farragher (Galway), T O'Brien (Cork); D Burke (Tipperary), C Brennan (Clare), K Cremin (Cork); D O'Driscoll (Cork), J Leonard (Galway); D Foran (Kerry), D O'Connell (Tipperary), A O'Neill (Cork); D Russell (Galway), P O'Connor (Kerry), C Rabbitt (Galway). Subs: A Power (Cork) for O'Driscoll (22, BC), L Kelleher (Cork) for Foran (h-t), A Walsh (Cork) for Bane (55), Foran for O'Connor (63, inj), P O'Heney (Tipperary) for Farragher (34).

Ref - S Mulvihill (Kerry)

Indo Sport