Thursday 22 March 2018

Championship Flashback - This weekend in past seasons

Kerry's Colm Cooper, shocked the Dubs with a goal after just 40 seconds in the All-Ireland SFC Quarter-Final five years ago. Picture credit: Stephen McCarthy / SPORTSFILE
Kerry's Colm Cooper, shocked the Dubs with a goal after just 40 seconds in the All-Ireland SFC Quarter-Final five years ago. Picture credit: Stephen McCarthy / SPORTSFILE
Liam Kelly

Liam Kelly

5 YEARS AGO THIS WEEK: 'Startled earwigs' routed - ALL-IRELAND SF Q/F The Kingdom came to Croke Park, saw what little the Dubs had to offer, and duly conquered Pat Gilroy's team with a masterful display orchestrated by arch-tormentor Colm Cooper.

From start to finish, Kerry dominated the game.

The Gooch shocked the Dublin players and the hordes of blue-clad fans on Hill 16 with a goal after just 40 seconds.

That set the tone and it never got any better for the Dubs as Kerry ran riot.

Jack O'Connor's Kingdom could have piled on the agony as they hit 12 wides and Dublin were saved further humiliation by some top-class saves from goalkeeper Stephen Cluxton.

"We were like startled earwigs for the first 15 minutes," admitted manager Gilroy.

Elsewhere, Tyrone eclipsed Kildare by 0-16 to 1-11, inspiring the Lilywhites boss Kieran McGeeney to say of Tyrone that they were "the best football team of the last 30 years in my book – bar none."

In the third quarter-final, Cork comfortably dealt with Donegal's challenge, cruising home by 1-27 to 2-10.

Also that weekend, Meath scraped a one-point win (1-13 to 2-9) in a fourth-round qualifier against Limerick.


Walsh is Cats hero


A victory for the Cats in a dogged, uncompromisingly physical and low-scoring contest with Clare.

Eddie Brennan's early goal from a Henry Shefflin pass helped Kilkenny to lead 1-3 to 0-0 after 15 minutes, but the Banner hauled themselves back into contention.

Shefflin later went off injured and as Kilkenny wasted some good chances, Clare fought hard to close the gap.

They got it down to three points at one stage in the second half. Questions were asked of Brian Cody's men and the Kilkenny rearguard, led by Tommy Walsh, had the answers.

They defied the best efforts of Clare, while at the other end of the pitch, Martin Comerford and DJ Carey got vital scores.

Manager Cody said afterwards of Walsh "He's a rare breed."

On the football scene, Dublin, managed by Tommy Lyons, came safely through a fourth-round qualifier by 1-14 to 0-13 against Roscommon.

Jason Sherlock was the Dubs leading scorer with 1-4, while Alan Brogan notched up 0-3.

Tyrone also reached the last eight, courtesy of their 3-15 to 2-4 verdict over Laois. Mark Harte (2) and Owen Mulligan were the Tyrone goalscorers.


Gilligan slays Galway


NIALL GILLIGAN was the man of the match as Clare romped through to the semi-finals.

Gilligan scored 2-3 as the Banner showed a general improvement in all sectors to dominate Galway.

Brian Lohan shut out Ollie Fahy, scorer of 2-2 for Galway in the drawn game. Liam Doyle, Seanie McMahon and Anthony Daly destroyed the Galway half-forward line of Ollie Canning, Joe Rabbitte and Alan Kerins.

Colin Lynch starred for Clare in midfield and Alan Markham put in the hard yards as he grafted between the half-back and half-forward lines. PJ O'Connell got Clare's other goal.

Eugene Cloonan stood out for the Tribesmen. He scored 2-10 (nine frees, plus one goal from a penalty)

Meanwhile, Meath won the Leinster football final against Dublin by 1-14 to 0-12, confirming their dominance over the Dubs in provincial fare. The result meant that Dublin had failed to beat the Royals since 1995.

Up North, Armagh crushed Down 3-12 to 0-10 to win their first Ulster SFC title since 1982. Oisin McConville's 2-7 (four frees, one goal from a penalty), took the plaudits.

Irish Independent

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport