Friday 24 November 2017

Carlow IT off to a flyer in Sigerson Cup, facile wins for DCU and NUIG

IT Carlow 1-10 IT Sligo 0-10

Mark Plunkett of Dublin City University, in action against Daniel Monagle, Athlone Institute of Technology. HE GAA Sigerson Cup, 1st Round, Dublin City University v Athlone Institute of Technology Picture credit: Seb Daly / SPORTSFILE
Mark Plunkett of Dublin City University, in action against Daniel Monagle, Athlone Institute of Technology. HE GAA Sigerson Cup, 1st Round, Dublin City University v Athlone Institute of Technology Picture credit: Seb Daly / SPORTSFILE

A 10th minute goal from IT Carlow's right full forward Chris Healy proved crucial to the outcome of this competitive Sigerson Cup 1st round tie at the IT Carlow grounds yesterday as the home students got off to a winning start in the competition.

With the sides level five times over the course of the game, Healy's goal provided the home side with a significant early boost playing into the strong wind.

Carlow coped well with the Sligo challenge in that opening half, with the visitors very reliant on left full forward Adam Traynor for scores. The Monaghan man scored 0-5 of his side's first half tally, three from play, with the other coming from a Cathal Kenny free, as the sides were tied 1-3 to 0-6 at the break.

Cian Clinton pointed Sligo into an early second half lead from a free but a brace of long-range points out of play from Carlow's influential midfielder Mark Russell lifted home morale.

Sligo remained very much in contention and were only a point in arrears (1-8 to 0-10) when substitute Cathal Surlis surged through the centre of the Carlow defence in the 58th minute only to see his goalbound shot well saved by home goalie, Robert Samson.

Points from Michael Hurley out of play and a pointed free from Chris Conroy put the seal on a narrow but deserved win for IT Carlow. Conroy top-scored with 0-6, his free-taking being highly impressive as he raised five white flags from placed balls.

Scorers: IT Carlow: C Conroy 0-6, 0-5f, C Healy 1-1, M Russell 0-2, M Hurley 0-1. IT Sligo: A Traynor 0-5, 0-2f, C Clinton 0-3f, C Kenny (f), E McHugh 0-1 each.

IT Carlow: R Samson; I Ilunga, T Featherson, T O'Connell; T Dever, D Dunne, D Smyth; M Russell, W Young; C Conroy, K Ryan, C Ward; C Healy, M Sherry, M Hurley. Subs: B McHugh for Dunne (46); T Nolan for Healy (54). IT Sligo: B McGovern; D McConnon, B Hanratty, M McWeeney; E McHugh, E McGrath, E Flanagan; S McBrearty, C Clinton; R Connolly, R Gorman, R Gorman, C Kenny; M Scully, N Walsh, A Traynor. Subs: J Connell for McConnon  (injured) (10); L Carr for Scully (40); D M Cormack for Hanratty (46); C Surlis for Kenny (53); K Smullen for Carr (60); D McConnon for Clinton (injured) (60+2).

Referee: F Barry (Kildare).


Dublin College University 6-14

Athlone IT 1-07

SHANE Carey helped himself to a hat-trick of goals last night, as reigning champions DCU comfortably advanced to the next stage of the Sigerson Cup at the expense of Athlone IT.

Niall Moyna's charges - who will face IT Carlow in the second round of the competition - issued an early statement of intent with unanswered points from Monaghan's Carey and the industrious Michael Quinn.

Athlone finally opened their account courtesy of a ninth-minute free from Martin, and even though the hosts responded with well-worked efforts by full-back Dessie Ward and Longford star Quinn, a second point for the excellent Martin kept the Lake County outfit within touching distance approaching the mid-way point in the action.

However, Carey's first goal of the contest on 30 minutes was a hammer blow for the visitors, and thanks to a second major by the imposing Conor McGraynor in stoppage-time, DCU held a 2-6 to 0-2 interval advantage.

Carey found the back of the Athlone net for a second time after the restart - via impressive approach work by McGraynor - before a 1-2 salvo from the tireless Martin offered their opponents a glimmer of hope heading into the final-quarter.

However, DCU reinforced their superiority with a quick-fire Carthy goal, before Carey grabbed his third goal of the tie in the 47th minute. The razor-sharp corner-forward registered a personal tally of 3-6 over the course of the hour, and with Ultan Harney adding a six goal from the last play of the game, the north Dubliners progressed in considerable style.

Scorers - DCU: S Carey 3-6 (0-4f), U Harney 1-1, S Carthy, C McGraynor 1-0 each, D O'Connor, M Quinn, D Mannix 0-2 each, D Ward 0-1. Athlone IT: K Martin 1-5 (0-2f), C McMonagle 0-2.

DCU - B Flynn; J Smith, D Ward, P McKenna; S Attride, C Moynagh, C McGonagle; S Carthy, D Byrne; M Plunkett, D O'Connor, M Quinn; S Carey, C McGraynor, C McNally.

SUBS - R Lyons for Plunkett (h-t), E Smith for Ward (34), U Harney for McNally (43), R Connor for Quinn, C Breheny for McKenna (both 50), D Mannix for McGraynor (54).

ATHLONE IT - D O'Connell; D Monagle, A Claffey, M Kearney; D Wharton, S Flynn, A Byrne; E Quigley, M Daly; D McDermott, K Martin, A Fitzpatrick; C McMonagle, T Watts, A Coffey.

SUBS - D Petit for Coffey (36), K Rudden for Daly (43).


NUIG set up UCD tussle

NUIG       3-14

Trinity     1-4

Michael Daly, Owen Gallagher and Kevin Finn netted the goals for NUI Galway as they thumped Trinity in last night’s preliminary round tie.

NUIG’s 16-point victory sets up a clash with UCD for a place in the quarter-finals.

It was one-way traffic at Clanna Gael Fontenoy as NUIG turned the screw on their outclassed opponents.

All three NUIG goals were netted in the first half as the winners opened up a massive lead at half-time, 3-10 to 0-3.

Trinity didn’t score from play until just before the interval, and the second half petered out to an inevitable conclusion, with referee Cormac Reilly appearing to blow up early.

Trinity were not lacking in effort but there was an obvious dearth of talent in their ranks as NUIG dictated the terms of engagement.

David Boothman registered scores either side of half-time but normal service was resumed soon after as NUIG hit four points without reply.

Michael O’Grady netted a late consolation goal.

Scorers – NUIG: K Finn 1-3 (0-1f), M Daly 1-2, O Gallagher 1-0, A Gallagher (2fs), P Cooke (3fs) 0-3 each, K McDonnell, J McManus, S Moran 0-1 each. Trinity: M O’Grady 1-0, D Boothman 0-3 (2fs), M O’Sullivan 0-1f.

NUIG – D O’Sullivan; K McDonnell, D Cunnane, L Burke; J McManus, D Murray, A Nolan; C O’Shea, P Cooke; S Moran, M Daly, A Gallagher; K Finn, O Gallagher, C Davey. Subs: P Mannion for Finn (43), E Tierney for O Gallagher (43), S Conroy for Davey (46), L Cullen for Cunnane (48), E Boland for Murray (52).

TRINITY – M Shiels; B Flynn, T McGahern, G Deery; C O’Donoghue, M O’Grady, K Archbold; S Cunningham, M Walsh; E O’Neill, E Keogh, D Boothman; R McCullagh, C O’Driscoll, M O’Sullivan. Subs: S Ward for McGahern (37), S Mulhern for Walsh (38), L Tynan for McCullagh (41), R O’Hanlon for Shiels (46), J Bell for Flynn (46), C MacGearailt for O’Sullivan (48).

Ref – C Reilly (Meath)


Queen University 0-13

Maynooth University 1-08

Former Down star Marty Clarke scored five points as Queens University recorded a fine away over Johnny Doyle’s Maynooth side last night.

The experienced centre half forward showed an array of skills that was too hot for the youthful Maynooth team to handle and James McCartan’s men were fully deserving of their two point win.

The northerners scored the first three points of the game but were rocked in the 18th minute when  a powerful run by Paul Cribbin set up a goal for Eoin Roche to put the Kildare university ahead for the first time, 1-1 to 0-3.

Ryan Murray and Ruairi Corrigan scored points late in the half to leave Queens one ahead at the break but two Evan O’Carroll frees, and another by Neill Flynn, soon after the restart gave the home team the lead again.

Clarke took over after that though and Queens outscored Maynooth by 0-7 to 0-3 in the final minutes to ease their progress through the first round.

QUEENS UNIVERSITY: J Deeney; G McCabe, C Cullen, B Burns; N Delarghy, S Heffron, M Monan 0-1; H Brown 0-1, A Morgan; R Corrgian 0-2, M Clarke 0-5 (3fs), D McAleese 0-1; R Murray 0-2, G McGovern, C O’Hanlon 0-1f. SUBS: R Wells for Burns, h/t; C Hamill for Monan, 49; C Martin for Brown, 60.

MAYNOOTH UNIVERSITY: E McDonagh; E Mullan, J McCarron, J Costello; T Gibbons, T Hannifin, C Slevin; F Conway, E O’Carroll 0-2fs; B Duggan, N Flynn 0-4fs, P Cribbin 0-1; J Wallace 0-1, R McManus, E Roche 1-0. SUBS: F Flanagan for Hannifin, 34; H Walsh for Duggan, 42; S Farrell for Roche, 51.

Referee: Maurice Deegan (Laois)

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport