Thursday 22 November 2018

Byrne's lucky strike helps Louth keep up winning ways

Louth kept what is becoming a customary run of wins in January going by claiming the prized scalp of Kildare in Newbridge.

The Wee County men are O'Byrne Cup champions and the manner in which they fought to stay in touch in yesterday's semi-final was an indication of their desire to maintain their grip on the trophy.

They finished spectacularly with a goal and three points in the final four minutes of play, although there was a touch of fortune about Declan Byrne's 67th-minute goal.

By that stage, Byrne, who started at right corner-back, had become a free man after the 47th minute sending off of Brian Flanagan.

Flanagan could have no complaints about Cormac Reilly's decision to send him packing, his two injudicious tackles were clear yellow-card offences and he knew his fate after the second tackle on Aaron Hoey.

Kildare pulled Rob Kelly back into the space vacated by Flanagan at centre-back and Gary White continued to command at full-back. Karl Ennis pointed a free to stretch the home side's advantage to two points but scores from Colm Judge, Byrne and JP Rooney put Peter Fitzpatrick's side in front.

Anthony Rainbow restored parity with a brilliant point from tight on the right touchline and when substitute James Kavanagh pointed from close range with less than six minutes remaining, it looked like the hosts might carve out the victory.

Byrne was revelling in the freedom of the park though, and when he found in space down the left flank, sent a floating shot from about 35 metres that seemed destined to bring the sides level.

It wasn't to be though, as the ball dipped suddenly, deceiving Shane McCormack and ending in the net via the upright.

Points from Judge, Ronan Carroll and Shane Lennon for a fine win sealed the honours.

Louth had begun in impressive fashion rifling over three points in as many minutes, Brian White and Judges converting frees either side of a magnificent score from wing-back Ray Finnegan.

Kildare roared back into the game with Rainbow providing much of the impetus from wing-back, finishing with four assists for that opening period.

Further points from Ronan Walsh, Kelly and Ennis saw them establish a lead by the 16th minute.

It was nip and tuck from there to half time with Kildare going in at the interval leading by 0-8 to 0-7. That advantage was quickly stretched to three after the resumption, Pádraig O'Neill and Kelly getting on the mark.

Again Louth hit back courtesy of Carroll and Rooney as they refused to be shaken off. And it was that perseverance that proved crucial in the end, keeping them in touch until that final match-winning spurt.

Scorers -- Louth: C Judge 0-4 (0-4f); D Byrne 1-1; B White 0-3 (2f); R Carroll, A McDonnell, JP Rooney (1f) 0-2 each, R Finnegan, S Lennon 0-1 each. Kildare -- K Ennis 0-3 (1f); R Walsh, D Earley, R Kelly 0-2 each; E Bolton, P O'Neill, K Cribbin, A Rainbow, J Kavanagh 0-1 each.

Louth -- N Gallagher; D Byrne, D Finnegan, R Green; R Finnegan, A Hoey, J O'Brien; P Keenan, R Carroll; D Crilly, A McDonnell, D Maguire; C Judge, JP Rooney, B White. Subs: P Smith for White (52), S Lennon for McDonnell (69), A Reid for Crilly (70).

Kildare -- S McCormack; A Mac Lochlainn, G White, E Bolton; M Foley, B Flanagan, A Rainbow; D Flynn, D Earley; D Whyte, R Kelly, P O'Neill; K Cribbin, K Ennis, R Walsh. Subs: D Lyons for Bolton (45), J Kavanagh for Walsh (48), R Sweeney for O'Neill (53), H Lynch for Cribbin (62).

Ref -- C Reilly (Meath).

Irish Independent

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport