Monday 26 February 2018

Breen quashes rumours of Sligo approach to replace Walsh

Kevin Walsh.
Kevin Walsh.

Former Leitrim football boss Barney Breen has dismissed speculation that he is poised to take over from Kevin Walsh as Sligo manager.

Breen said that there had not been any contact from his neighbouring county. Breen and George Dugdale were not handed a third term at the Leitrim helm, despite leading the county to their first silverware in 19 years with last year's FBD League title.

"There has been absolutely no contact with me regarding the Sligo manager's job," said Breen. "I have had no calls or anything like that from anyone representing Sligo."

According to Sligo County Board chairman Cyril Feehily, the search for the county's new manager is ongoing, with a five-man committee – which includes former boss Tommy Breheny – undertaking the search.

Feehily confirmed that, as of yet, no names have been put to him by the committee, but that he hoped for some progress in the coming week.

"The boys are due back to training in two weeks' time, so we'll have to make some progress before too long. There are a lot of variables to consider, whether people are working or available for interview," he said.

Former Mayo player Michael Moyles remains the favourite to land the position and has declared his interest in the job, while Sligo natives Anthony Brennan and Denis Johnston are also believed to be in the running.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport