Tuesday 16 July 2019

Allianz FL Div 3 round-up: Allen salvages point for Offaly with last-gasp free

Longford 1-6 Offaly 0-9

Offaly's Bernard Allen. Photo: Piaras Ó Mídheach/Sportsfile
Offaly's Bernard Allen. Photo: Piaras Ó Mídheach/Sportsfile

Independent.ie Sportsdesk

Bernard Allen converted a free in the 70th minute to give Offaly a share of the spoils against a depleted Longford side at Glennon Brothers Pearse Park yesterday.

Longford lost Pauric Gill in the warm-up and then ace forward Robbie Smyth also had to go off injured less than 10 minutes into the second half.

The free from Allen came after Longford tried to keep the ball and goalkeeper Paddy Collum was penalised for over-carrying.

Played in wet and miserable conditions, the swirling wind didn't help either side.

For all of their possession in the opening half, Longford just led by a goal at the break, 1-3 to 0-3.

Smyth brought two good saves out of Offaly goalkeeper Paddy Dunican in the first half.

Darren Gallagher scored the game's only goal in fifth minute when Liam Connerton passed to Gallagher and he found the back of the net.

Offaly started the second half brightly with two quick-fire points from Allen cutting the gap to just one in the 37th minute.

GAA Newsletter

Expert GAA analysis straight to your inbox.

Allen then set up substitute Shane Tierney in the 39th minute to draw Offaly level once again.

Michael Quinn edged Longford ahead with a terrific point in the 40th minute and then three minutes later his midfield partner Gallagher scored one just as good.

Sullivan and Gallagher then exchanged frees as the game entered the final five minutes.

An excellent point from Eoin Carroll cut the lead to one point in the 65th minute.

Longford should have extended their lead but they were left to rue some poor finishing before Allen earned his side a hard-earned point with his last-gasp free.

Scorers - Longford: D Gallagher 1-3 (2f), M Quinn, N Rabbitt, M Hughes 0-1 each. Offaly: B Allen 0-5 (3f), A Sullivan 0-2, E Carroll, S Tierney 0-1 each.

LONGFORD - P Collum 6; D Quinn 6, A Farrell 6, B O'Farrell 6; CP Smyth 7; B McKeon 7, D Mimnagh 6 ; D Gallagher 9, M Quinn 8; S Donohoe 6, N Rabbitt 6, M Hughes 6 (C Berry 5, 60); R Smyth 6 (Hagan 5 inj,44), L Connerton 5, P Lynn 5 (I O'Sullivan 5 70+1).

Offaly - P Duncan 7; D Hogan 7, E Rigney 7, D Dempsey 7; J O'Connor 7, P Cunningham 7 (C Carroll 68 5), C Donohoe 6; C Mangan 6, S Horan 6; N Bracken (E Carroll 47), A Sullivan 7, N Darby 6; B Allen 8, J Moloney 6 (N Dunne 6 54), R McNamee 6 (S Tierney 6 h-t).

REF - E O'Grady (Leitrim)

Last-ditch Mooney goal breaks Sligo hearts

Down 1-12 Sligo 1-10

Down's bid for a swift return to Division 2 is up and running, and they have Caolan Mooney to thank after his stoppage-time goal sank Sligo at Connolly Park.

Mooney finished superbly five minutes into time added on as the Mourne men made up for their opening-round defeat to Laois.

Gutted Sligo, who were dealt a blow when leading scorer Pat Hughes was red-carded with two minutes of normal time left, appeared to have done enough to cling on for a much-needed win, having lost to Carlow the previous week.

Sean Carrabine's fine point gave Paul Taylor's men a one-point advantage, 1-10 to 0-12, a minute into added time.

Down could have levelled matters prior to Mooney's winner but Barry O'Hagan was off target with a point attempt.

Sligo struck 1-2 without reply in the opening five minutes - including a well-taken goal from Hughes.

However, this lead was whittled away and although they were still in front at the interval, 1-5 to 0-6, it didn't seem a sufficient advantage.

Down took the lead for the first time in the 55th minute after the first of Mooney's two points.

Sligo again went a point behind, 0-12 to 1-8, but a brace of points from Niall Murphy and Carrabine gave Sligo something to hold on to - until Mooney delivered the game's telling score.

SCORERS - Down: C Mooney 1-2, D O'Hare 0-4 (2fs); R Johnston, P Devlin (2fs) 0-2 each, J Johnston (f), P Havern 0-1 each. Sligo: P Hughes 1-2 (0-2fs); N Murphy 0-3 (2fs); S Carrabine (1f), L Gaughan 0-2 each, A Devaney 0-1f.

DOWN: R Burns 6; D O'Hagan 6, S Murnin 4, G Collins 5; S Fegan 6, C Flanagan 6, C Mooney 8; L Devlin 5, J Flynn 6; C Francis 6, C Poland 6, K McKernan 5; J Johnston 4, P Havern 6, P Devlin 5. Subs: R Johnston 7 for Murnin (15), D O'Hare 7 for J Johnston (27), D McCarthy for L Devlin (h-t), C Harrison 5 for P Havern (50), B O'Hagan 5 for P Devlin (54).

SLIGO: A Devaney 6; N Mullen 6, P Laffey 5, J Carr 5; L Nicholson 5, P McNamara 7, G O'Kelly-Lynch 6; P Kilcoyne 5, A McIntyre 6; L Gaughan 7, P O'Connor 5, S Carrabine 6; A Marren 6, P Hughes 7, N Murphy 6. Subs: C Henry 5 for Nicholson (53), A McLoughlin 4 for P Kilcoyne (57), B McGowan for P O'Connor (69).

REF - P Hughes (Armagh).

Brace by Burns bags victory

Louth 3-8 Laois 1-9

Louth manager Wayne Kierans was understandably delighted following his side's excellent five-point victory over Laois, but was quick to dampen any talk of promotion.

The Wee County have endured a miserable couple of years, with Saturday's victory their first since a league win against Tipperary in March of 2017.

Louth came out firing at Croke Park and blitzed Laois with three goals in a devastating 10-minute spell, with Conor Early and a Ryan Burns double doing the damage.

Laois' cause wasn't helped by the dismissal of Killian Lillis, although they did give themselves hope late in the half as they narrowed the gap to four points thanks to a Ross Munnelly penalty.

Laois tried to come back, but a combination of excellent defending and some timely scores kept last year's Leinster finalists at bay as Louth prevailed.

Kierans praised his players for their efforts as they bounced back impressively from an opening day loss to Longford.

"It's not been an easy couple of years, but we are delighted with the win and I think we fully deserved it," he stated.

"There will be no talk of promotion as we are only getting started and building for the future."

Scorers - Louth: R Burns 2-3 (pen, mark, 2fs), C Early 1-0, S Mulroy 0-2 (1 mark, 1f), T Turnin, C Brannigan, C McKeever, 0-1 each. Laois: R Munnelly 1-6 (1 pen, 1 mark, 4fs), D Kingston 0-2 (1f), C Murphy 0-1 (f).

LOUTH - F Sheeky 7; F Donohue 7, E Carolan 7, D Corcoran 7; A Williams 7, B Duffy 7, J Clutterback 7; T Durnin 8, C Early 7; C Brannigan 7, C Downey 7, C McKeever 7; A McDonnell 7, S Mulroy 8, R Burns 8. Subs: J Califf 6 for C Early (37), A McDonnell 6 (48), D Byrne 6 for R Burns (51), H Osbourne 6 for D Corcoran (58), E Duffy 6 for A McDonnell (61), R Moore 6 for C McKeever (66).

LAOIS - G Brody 5; D Seale 5, S Nerney 5, A Campion 5; S Attride 5, R Piggott 5, G Dillon 6; J O'Loughlin 5, K Lillis 4; D O'Connor 5, C Boyle 5, S Byrne 5; R Munnelly 7, C Murphy 7, P Kingston 6. Subs: M Scully 6 for S Byrne (2), C Begley 5 for M Scully (23), D Kingston 7 (0-2, 1f) for D Seale (h-t), E O'Carroll 6 for D O'Connor (h-t), M Barry 5 for R Munnelly (56), P Cahillane 5 for C Murphy (66).

REF - B Tiernan (Dublin)

Cooney happy with fightback

Westmeath 1-10 Carlow 2-7

Rival managers Jack Cooney and Turlough O'Brien both took a glass-half-full mentality after their teams shared the spoils in a tetchy encounter at Mullingar.   

The sides were tied at 0-2 each when a mix-up in the home defence gifted Darragh Foley a tenth-minute goal, before Westmeath lost Ronan O'Toole to the sin bin in the 16th minute.

Finbar Coyne's fisted goal in the 35th minute helped Westmeath cut the deficit to 1-6 to 1-4 at the break.

Westmeath captain Kieran Martin was dismissed in the 43rd minute after picking up a second yellow card.

Carlow led by the minimum when Brendan Murphy rifled home a 54th-minute goal, but four unanswered points levelled the contest by the hour mark - at which stage both teams had 14 men after visiting wing-forward Lee Walker was red-carded.

His colleague Chris Crowley was sin-binned in the 66th minute, but neither side was able to find a winner in the closing minutes.

Westmeath manager Cooney was pragmatic, stating: "We probably would have taken a draw when we were four points down, the way they set up and kept the ball.

"But then we just got that energy for the last 15 minutes and we created plenty of chances to win it."

Carlow counterpart O'Brien was also reasonably content to retain his side's unbeaten record.

"It was a great game of football and we got an away point.

"All the players played themselves to a standstill and it was a great team effort," he said.

Scorers - Westmeath: G Egan 0-9 (7fs), F Coyne 1-0, R O'Toole 0-1. Carlow: D Foley 1-4 (0-4f), B Murphy 1-1, L Walker, S Murphy 0-1 each.

Westmeath - E Carberry 6; K Daly 8, R Wallace 5, B Sayeh 6; J Dolan 5, N Mulligan 6, D Lynch 5; D Corroon 6, S Duncan 6; J Halligan 5, C McCormack 6, F Coyne 6; R O'Toole 7, K Martin 6, G Egan 7. Subs: L Loughlin 6 for Halligan (h-t), T McDaniel 6 for McCormack (h-t), J Gonoud 6 for Coyne (52).

Carlow - R Molloy 6; C Crowley 5, C Lawlor 6, BJ Molloy 6; J Morrissey 6, D St Ledger 7, C Moran 5; B Murphy 7, E Ruth 6; S Gannon 6, D Foley 7, L Walker 5; D Walshe 5, D O'Brien 6, S Murphy 6. Subs: B Kavanagh 6 for Moran (31), S Clarke 6 for Walshe (52), D Moran for O'Brien (63), S Doyle for Morrissey (70+5).

Ref - L Devenney (Mayo).

Irish Independent

The Throw-In: Kerry back to their best, Connolly’s return and Cork’s baffling inconsistency

In association with Bord Gáis Energy

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport