| 10.5°C Dublin

GAA Round-up: Life-size tribute to Ó Sé unveiled


Legendary Kerry player Páidí Ó Sé playing against Dublin in 1975

Legendary Kerry player Páidí Ó Sé playing against Dublin in 1975


Legendary Kerry player Páidí Ó Sé playing against Dublin in 1975

A life-sized statue of the legendary Páidí Ó Sé was unveiled in his native Árd a'Bhóthair, in Ventry yesterday.

His friend Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh, who was master of ceremonies at the event, recalled Ó Sé's exploits in the green and gold of Kerry and his extraordinary zest for life.

GAA figures from Kerry, with whom Ó Sé won eight senior All-Ireland medals, and opponents from yesteryear converged on Ventry for the ceremony where the statue was unveiled by Mick O'Dwyer.

There was also a large contingent from Westmeath, whom he led to a maiden Leinster SFC title in 2004. He also managed Kerry to All-Ireland success.

Ó Sé, fondly remembered in the Sunday Independent as a provocative and entertaining columnist, passed away suddenly in December 2012.

Clare sculptor Seamus Connolly was commissioned to create the statue, which will stand outside the family pub at the crossroads in Árd a'Bhothair, not far from where Páidí is buried in Reilig Naomh Chaitlíona.

Coiste Cuimhneachain Paídí Ui Shé are behind the project.

Elsewhere, despite playing with 14 men for 40 minutes, Kildare remain on course to retain the Christy Ring Cup following a 2-18 to 1-16 win over Mayo at James Stephens Park, Ballina, yesterday.

It looked gloomy for the Lilywhites when they trailed 1-10 to 0-5 at the break and lost Johnny Byrne to a straight red card after an off-the-ball incident with David Kenny of Mayo.

Playing his first hurling match this year, Keith Higgins scored the Mayo goal just before the break, but they were hit by two second-half goals by Kildare, both from Willie Greene.

That second goal levelled the game at 2-9 to 1-12; Mayo had a great chance to retake the lead when they were awarded a penalty, but Kenny Feeney's effort flew over the bar.

Kildare's ability to pick off some long-range points with a very strong wind ultimately decided it, with Mark Delaney, Gerry Keegan and Martin Fitzgerald particularly effective. The numbers were balanced in the last minute when Brian Hunt was given a straight red.

Derry have reached their first Christy Ring semi-final, thanks to an injury-time point from Paddy Henry, which gave them a 1-12 to 2-8 win over London in Owenbeg.

In the final minute of normal time, Allan Grant harried London's Conor Hickey into carrying the sliothar over the end line and Henry stepped up for the winning score, the Derry sharpshooter finishing with 1-6.

London took an early four-point lead, but Derry came back strongly to level at 0-4 each in the 22nd minute. But right on the short whistle, Mark O'Dwyer put London 1-5 to 0-6 ahead.

Paddy Henry netted for Derry in the 37th minute, O'Dwyer hitting his second goal seven minutes from time. But Derry won out to reach the semi-final for the first time ever.

In the Nicky Rackard Cup, four goals from Ronan McDermott fired Donegal to 6-12 to 2-13 victory over Monaghan at Clones. Twice, the eventual winners had to come from five points adrift, Monaghan's Niall Garland netting to help them race into a 1-2 to no score lead after just six minutes. McDermott's first goal on 17 minutes had the sides level, but the home side led at the break 1-10 to 1-5.

Donegal struck 1-6 without reply in the opening 15minutes of the second half, McDermott with the goal. Garland hit his second major of the day and, with just eight minutes remaining, the sides were level. A further four goals followed for the winners in the final five minutes.

Holders Tyrone held on for an 1-21 to 0-20 extra-time Nicky Rackard Cup quarter-final win over Fingal at Swords in a repeat of last year's final.

JM Sheridan steered over five first-half points to push the home side into a 0-13 to 0-6 interval lead, with Damian Casey and Matthew Mulgrew on target for the Red Hands. Mulgrew rifled home a 51st-minute goal, and Fingal needed a Sheridan free to send the game to extra-time on 0-18 to 1-15. They were still level at 0-20 to 1-17 midway through added-time, but Tyrone claimed victory with scores from Casey, Gerard Gilmore and Conor Grogan.

In the Lory Meagher Cup third round, goals from Colm McBride, John Bergin and substitute Pauric Crehan helped Warwickshire record a 3-12 to 1-13 win in Markievicz Park - their third successive victory over Sligo.

Sunday Indo Sport