Sport GAA

Wednesday 18 September 2019

Corbett shines as Cork seal historic All-Ireland double

Cork 3-20 Galway 3-14

Cork celebrate with the Markham Cup after beating Galway. Photo: Sportsfile
Cork celebrate with the Markham Cup after beating Galway. Photo: Sportsfile

Ronan O'Brien

Conor Corbett scored 1-7 as Cork were crowned Eletcric Ireland All-Ireland minor champions after a thrilling extra-time victory over Galway at Croke Park.

This was another boost to Cork football in a year when the seniors were relegated to Division 3 of the NFL but their U-20s won the All-Ireland. It was the Rebels' first Markham Cup triumph since 2000.

Bobby O'Dwyer's side struggled in the first half but were still in contention at the interval.

Jack Cahalane scored Cork's first goal on the resumption but Daniel Cox hit back for Galway, who looked to have claimed glory courtesy of Niall Cunningham's great goal deep into injury-time.

However, there was still time for Corbett to score another Cork goal which brought the game into extra time on a 2-13 apiece scoreline.

Ryan O'Donovan scored Cork's third goal as the Rebels registered an unanswered 1-3 and Galway couldn't fight back despite Niall Cunningham's second goal.

Conor Corbett lifts the cup. Photo: Sportsfile
Conor Corbett lifts the cup. Photo: Sportsfile


"It is a dream come true. The lads have worked since October. We couldn't leave that behind us," said Corbett. "The goal was probably the best moment of my life. This is everybody's dream. It is a dream since you are five or six."

GAA Newsletter

Expert GAA analysis straight to your inbox.

Cork dominated possession but Galway held a 0-8 to 0-5 half-time lead after a brilliant defensive display.

Tomo Culhane and Corbett (two) traded early points. Culhane popped over an effort off his left in the 12th minute and moments later his right boot did the damage.

When Culhane scored his fourth, a free, Galway were 0-4 to 0-2 ahead in the 16th minute. Michael O'Neill hit back but Cox scored his first point after he had been blocked down.

Cox then doubled his tally and Corbett scored his third point, while Nathan Grainger registered a point in return. Culhane tapped over his second free before Darragh Cashman scored a huge point in the second minute of added time.

Galway were three in front at half-time and made the ideal start to the second half when Culhane slotted a free. He nearly scored a goal when he got to James McLaughlin's delivery but Cian O'Leary saved. Then the Cork goalkeeper did well to save from Grainger but he had been fouled and Culhane nailed the free.

Cork came out with renewed impetus and Patrick Campbell scored their first point of the second half. O'Neill's pass found Cahalane in space and he powered a shot low past Donie Halleran in the 37th minute. Cork followed that up with points from Cashman and Corbett to lead for the first time since the 10th minute.

That lasted four minutes, until Grainger pointed and Culhane's fifth free put Galway back in front. O'Neill scored to level proceedings, before Corbett found his range and Cahalane then struck to give Cork their biggest lead in the 54th minute.

It was 1-11 to 0-12 when Cox drove at the heart of the defence and blazed his shot past O'Leary and into the net. O'Neill and Culhane then exchanged frees before Luke Murphy levelled it up in the 63rd minute.

There was more drama when Cunningham blasted another brilliant goal for Galway, but Cork went right back up the field and Corbett fired off the equaliser.

At 2-13 apiece, it went to extra-time. O'Donovan scored the third Cork goal within 20 seconds of the restart.

Corbett registered another point and Cork raced clear with two points from O'Neill. Culhane added his tenth point and Galway trailed by 3-17 to 2-14 at half-time in extra time.

O'Donovan and O'Neill scored further points before Cunningham bagged a consolation.

ScorerS - Cork: C Corbett 1-7; M O'Neill 0-6 (3f); R O'Donovan 1-2; J Cahalane 1-1; D Cashman 0-2; P Campbell, L Murphy 0-1 each. Galway: T Culhane 0-10 (7f); N Cunningham 2-0; D Cox 1-2; N Grainger 0-2.

Cork - C O'Leary; A Walsh Murphy, D Linehan, D Peet; D Cashman, N Lordan, J O'Shea; J Lawton, K Scannell; H Murphy, C Corbett, E Nash; M O'Neill, P Campbell, J Cahalane. Subs: S Andrews for Peet (35), N Gough for O'Shea (46), L Murphy for Nash (51), R O'Donovan for Cahalane (60), T O'Donoghue for Walsh Murphy (69), E Nash for Lawton (78).

Galway - D Halleran; J McGrath, R King, L Tevnan; C Hernon, E Fiorentini, K O'Neill; J McLaughlin, D O'Flaherty; E Nolan, W Seoige, D Brady; N Grainger, T Culhane, D Cox. Subs: C Gallagher for O'Flaherty (52), D Kennedy for Nolan (56), N Cunningham for Grainger (56), J Webb for Hernon (57), M Colleran for Brady (36), A Naughton for Cox (78), D McNulty O'Neill (78).

Ref - Noel Mooney (Cavan).

Irish Independent

The Throw-In: 'Jim Gavin has achieved what Mick O'Dwyer and Brian Cody couldn't do'

In association with Bord Gáis Energy

Also in Sport