Friday 23 February 2018

Appeals force delay to 'coin toss' verdict

Emma O'Driscoll contributed a point to Clare's 4-19 to 1-6 win over Derry
Emma O'Driscoll contributed a point to Clare's 4-19 to 1-6 win over Derry

Daragh ó Conchúir

The controversial 'coin toss' draw to determine the final qualifier from Group 2 of the Liberty Insurance Senior Camogie Championship has been deferred on foot of appeals lodged by both Dublin and Clare.

Clare's 4-19 to 1-6 win over Derry at Cusack Park drew Colm Honan's charges level with Dublin in third place and it remains to be seen which of those will now play Wexford in one of the two All-Ireland quarter-finals.

Clare laid the platform for the victory in the first half despite the fact that Derry had the wind in that period. A good start was going to be important and it all came from Clare.

Máire McGrath landed a bomb from distance and Róisín McMahon followed up before an Emma O'Driscoll point and two more from Chloe Morey, the latter a spectacular score. Karen Kielt replied, before Clare pounced for three quick goals to deflate Derry.

Aoife Keane struck first and within a minute the excellent Morey did likewise. It only took another four minutes for Keane to bag her second goal and there was time for Andrea O'Keeffe to rattle the net one more time to leave it 4-7 to 0-4 at the change of ends.

Derry resumed with a goal from Orla Mullan and, to their credit, they gradually got going again and kept the scoreboard ticking over but Clare had too much in hand.

Meanwhile, Meath will play Wexford next week, with a place in the All-Ireland intermediate semi-final at stake after a 3-14 to 2-11 victory that ended Galway's championship aspirations in Loughrea.

The Royals got off to a dream start, with a couple of goals from Jane Dolan and they led by seven points at the break. The margin became eight soon after the resumption, but a Cliodhna Walsh goal, allied to a couple of more points, reduced the margin to three. Aoife Minogue then made it a five-point game once more.

Galway would not lie down and Niamh Murphy appeared to get the final touch on a Rachel Monaghan delivery to put the game back into the melting pot. Meath stretched it to four once more before Monaghan's penalty was deflected over by goalkeeper Emily Mangan. From the next attack, Siobhan Skehill made a stunning save, but Dolan poked home the rebound.

Cork are guaranteed a semi-final spot after making it three wins from three in Group 1 by virtue of a 2-17 to 0-11 success in Ballyholland.

They are joined in the last four by Waterford, whose goalscoring touch accounted for Kilkenny in a neighbourhood battle at Walsh Park. The Cats outscored the hosts by 12 to eight, but with Waterford finding the net three times, they prevailed by 3-5 to 0-12. Dawn Power struck for two goals, with Lorraine Bray getting the third.

Indo Sport

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport