Saturday 16 December 2017

UCC end long Sigerson wait

UCC 0-10 UUJ 0-7

UCC displayed courage and character at Belfield to win the title for the 20th time in a tense and exciting decider.

The Leesiders, whose captain Adrian Greaney broke a leg in Friday's semi-final, had many heroes, with midfielder Kevin O'Driscoll and defenders Eoin O'Mahony, Peter Crowley and Niall Daly shining for Billy Morgan's side.

After opening up a three-point lead through Sean Kiely, Mark Collins and Will Kennedy, UCC were contained for 20 minutes, managing just one point from Barry O'Driscoll. UUJ pulled back scores through corner-back Conor Galligan and Conor McManus, but they found it almost impossible to break down a solid Cork defence.

Cork led by 0-4 to 0-2 at the break and had opened up a five-point lead by the end of the third quarter, but points from McManus, Ciarán McGinley and Mattie Donnelly cut the gap to a single point.

But Kevin O'Driscoll hit his second point, and UCC finished strongly with scores from Collins and Johnny Buckley to secure the title for the first time since 1995.

Scorers -- UCC: B O'Driscoll 0-3 (2f), K O'Driscoll, M Collins (1f) 0-2 each, J Buckley, W Kennedy, S Kiely 0-1 each.

UUJ: C McManus (1f), C McGinley 0-2 each, M Donnelly, K Dyas, C Galligan 0-1 each.

UCC: K O'Halloran; P Crowley, E O'Mahony, J O'Sullivan; S Kiely, A Greaney, B Daly; W Kennedy, J Fitzpatrick; K O'Driscoll, M Collins, JB Spillane; B O'Driscolll, D Casey, J Buckley. Subs: S O'Brien for Kennedy, S Betson for Casey, M Griffin for B O'Driscoll.

UUJ: G Kelly; G McCartan, B Donaghy, C Galligan; D Moan, D Morgan, C McGinley; C Murney, N Holly; D McNulty, C O'Boyle, P Hughes; J McAnulla, M Donnelly, C McManus. Subs: E McGuckin for McAnulla, G McCartan for Murney, C Donnelly for Hughes, J O'Neill for McNulty.

Referee: D Coldrick (Meath).

Sunday Indo Sport

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport