Sport Gaelic Football

Friday 24 November 2017

Tyrone GAA brawl: Man has ear bitten off in last minutes of match

A MAN had part of his ear bitten off during an outburst of violence at a Tyrone GAA match at the weekend.

Police said they were investigating the allegations after trouble flared during the last few minutes of the senior league final between Carrickmore and Dromore in Ballygawley on Sunday.

It is reported in the Belfast Telegraph that the alleged victim of the attack is a man in his 40s from the Carrickmore area.

It is believed he was taken to Craigavon Area Hospital to be treated for his injuries, where he was told little could be done.

But surgeons from the Ulster Hospital in Dundonald were able to reattach the severed part of the ear following a procedure earlier this week.

It is still not clear whether the operation was a success.

Last night a police spokeswoman said a complaint had been received on Tuesday night that “a man had part of an ear bitten off at the match”.

She added “inquiries into the alleged assault” were continuing.

The Tyrone GAA county board met on Tuesday to read referee Cathal O’Hagan’s match report and watch a video of the game.

In a statement released on Tuesday, the board urged those involved in the violence to “come forward and accept responsibility”.

Member Damien Harvey said that the ear-biting incident had yet to be referred to the board.

“It hasn’t directly been brought to our attention — but if it does |it would form part of the |investigation. The investigation is ongoing and it will be probably towards the middle of next week before sanctions will be handed out, with clubs finding out first.”

Speaking to the Belfast Telegraph earlier this week, Tyrone GAA chairman Ciaran Mc Laughlin said the board would be making a decision on punishment for those involved over the course of the week.

The violence is the latest embarrassment for the GAA in the space of a week after a player and three other club members were expelled over an attack on a referee in Rasharkin in October.

Earlier this year a referee was knocked unconscious during a Tyrone ladies final between St Macartan's and Carrickmore.

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport