| 16°C Dublin

There was no 'inappropriate influence' say Kerry school


Kerry manager Eamonn Fitzmaurice

Kerry manager Eamonn Fitzmaurice


Kerry manager Eamonn Fitzmaurice

A KERRY school involved in the first major black-card controversy of the year has accepted the decision to order a replay.

However, they have hit out at any suggestions that their management had 'inappropriate influence' on the match officials.

Pobalscoil Chorca Dhuibhne beat Colaiste Chriost Ri after extra-time first time out in the Munster schools SFC 'A' quarter-final, but the Cork school won an appeal against the result, on the basis that the referee had erred in how he applied the black card at one stage.

The Kerry school's captain picked up a black card after an earlier yellow, which is the equivalent of a sending-off, but the ref mistakenly allowed Chorca Dhuibhne to replace him.


Chorca Dhuibhne are managed by two particularly high-profile men in current county senior manager Eamonn Fitzmaurice and former Kingdom midfielder Tommy Griffin.

It has never been suggested that they did anything wrong, but some reporting of the case has clearly irked the Kerry school.

School principal Padraig Firtear said yesterday: "All actions of the team management at the time of the substitution were carried out with the full knowledge and on the advice of the relevant match officials.

"We strongly reject any notion that the management of Pobalscoil Chorca Dhuibhne had any inappropriate influence on any match official."

The replay has been fixed for next Saturday, though the venue (probably in Cork) has still to be verified because of the inclement weather in Munster.

The first semi-final between DLS Macroom and St Fachtna's Skibbereen goes ahead on Saturday at Ballineen.

But St Brendan's Killarney are still awaiting the winner of the replay so the second semi-final will not take place until February 22. The Corn Ui Mhuiri final was due to take place on March 3, but that has now been moved back to March 8.

Irish Independent