Tuesday 23 January 2018

Ryan hails resolve of Rebelettes


Cork will meet Laois in the semi-finals of the TG4 All-Ireland SFC following their excellent comeback against defending champions Dublin in their quarter-final on Saturday.

The Rebels, who won the All-Ireland five times in a row from 2005 to '09, trailed by 3-10 to 2-7 with 16 minutes left -- however, they then scored seven points without reply to book their place in the semi-finals. It was a win that left manager Eamonn Ryan once again hailing the character of his players.

"It was an amazing victory," he said. "We had one like that against Mayo in the semi-final the first year we won the All-Ireland when we got three late points, but today I honestly thought we were gone.

"We used up a fair bit of luck today, but the one thing I'd say in mitigation was that we were six weeks without a game. The pleasing thing was that we outlasted them because all the talk was that they'd outlast us."

The long lay-off since the Munster final win over Kerry caught up with Cork early on. Dublin led by 0-5 to 0-1 and then went 0-7 to 0-3 up -- Sinead Aherne was very impressive for them, while Denise Masterson was excellent in midfield.

However, Mairead Kelly's 29th-minute goal kick-started Cork, who had earlier lost Valerie Mulcahy to a sin-binning, and at half-time they led by 1-6 to 0-8.

Two Dublin goals in the first two minutes of the second half, from Noelle Healy and Aherne, turned things, though one of those was cancelled out immediately by Cork's Rhona Ni Bhuachalla.

When Mulcahy missed a penalty and Dublin's Lyndsey Davey goaled immediately afterwards, the game looked up for Cork -- six points down and struggling. Three from Mulcahy gave them an avenue back into things though, and they came at Dublin in waves, eventually wearing them down -- Juliet Murphy's fifth point putting them ahead in the 57th minute for a 2-14 to 3-10 win.

On the other side of the draw, Monaghan were hugely impressive in seeing off Meath by 2-13 to 0-8 to set up a semi-final date with Kerry.

Niamh Kindlon and Catriona McConnell were on target early on before Therese McNally's goal gave them a considerable cushion.

By half-time, the lead was 1-7 to 0-3 -- the McAnespie twins, Ciara and Aoife impressing -- and despite the best efforts of Meath's Vivienne McCormack and goalkeeper Irene Munnelly, the pattern continued in the second half, with Caoimhe Mohan scoring a second goal.

details in Gaa scoreboard

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport