Friday 24 November 2017

No need for rule changes, insists Harte

Martin Breheny

Martin Breheny

MICKEY Harte has again insisted that there's no need to introduce tougher sanctions for fouling as proposed by the Football Review Committee (FRC), whose proposals will be considered by GAA Congress next Saturday.

While there were a few examples of fouls which, under the FRC recommendations, would have attracted a black card (player sent off and replaced) late on in Saturday night's Dublin-Tyrone game in Croke Park, Harte said the existing rules were adequate.

"Referees have a yellow card to deal with a deliberate personal foul and I think that will suffice. If someone commits a foul like that (late on in a game), it's the exception to the rule. If they do it earlier, they're walking on thin ice. There are enough deterrents there to stop people doing it. We shouldn't change a rule for an exception," he said.

He also insisted that teams were not deliberately planning fouls.

"I would love someone to explain to me how a team can go out and choreograph their fouling. It's just not possible. It's a myth – it's not true," he said.

Dublin manager Jim Gavin said that he had already endorsed the work of the FRC.

"Now it's up to each county board to make a call," he said.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport