| 14.7°C Dublin

McGeeney set to remain at Kildare helm

KILDARE expect to confirm Kieran McGeeney as their senior football manager for 2013 inside the next week.

The Kildare County Board issued a statement last night revealing that, after a meeting with county chairman John McMahon, McGeeney stated his desire to remain at the helm for the final season of his second three-year term.

"County board chairperson John McMahon met with Kieran McGeeney on Tuesday night, September 4," read the statement. "Kieran expressed his desire to continue managing the Kildare senior football team in 2013.

"There are some administration details to be finalised in the coming days. 2013 will be McGeeney's final year under the current agreement.

"A further update will follow in the coming week."

Last Tuesday night, a county board meeting was told of the tumbling costs involved in running the county's senior football team.

It is understood that McGeeney indicated his desire that these figures be revealed to the clubs as he was unhappy with suggestions the senior set-up is at the root of Kildare's serious financial problems.

Earlier this year, Kildare were given an €300,000 advance by Croke Park to help them get their affairs in order.

Around €525,000 was spent on Kildare teams so far this year, with the U-21 hurlers still to play their All-Ireland 'A' final. That represents a significant reduction on the €750,000 spent in 2011.

And McMahon praised the role McGeeney and his management team played in reducing those outgoings.

"Kieran McGeeney is not the pariah around Kildare," said McMahon. "Quite the opposite. He and his management team have played a vital part in pulling down those costs."

Kildare have seen remarkable improvements since McGeeney took over but 2012 was a disappointing one for the Lilies. They crashed out of the race for the All-Ireland title after a disappointing quarter-final showing against Cork and it had been suggested that McGeeney might move on.

Irish Independent