Saturday 18 November 2017

Lilywhite star facing six-month ban over Moorefield episode

Daryl Flynn: facing a big suspension
Daryl Flynn: facing a big suspension
Colm Keys

Colm Keys

Kildare midfielder Daryl Flynn is facing a potential six-month suspension following a clash with referee Derek Fahy after a Leinster club championship first-round match with Portlaoise last month.

The Leinster Council's Competitions Control Committee (CCC) proposed a six-month suspension for the Moorefield man last week, on the back of Fahy's report, which detailed the nature of the alleged altercation in the tunnel area of the Portlaoise ground.

Flynn, a highly consistent presence with Kildare all season, had been sent off late in the game after receiving two yellow cards.

He is likely to accept the offer of a hearing from Leinster's Central Hearings Committee (CHC) to fight the prospect of such a long stint away from the game but it may not be heard for a few weeks.

If the CCC proposal is accepted by the hearings committee, Flynn would miss Kildare's entire Division 2 league campaign.

With Dermot Earley -- Flynn's regular midfield partner -- already sidelined after recent surgery to repair a cruciate ligament tear that interrupted his season, it would leave Kildare stretched in the early part of next season.

Long-serving midfielder Killian Brennan has joined his Suncroft club-mate Anthony Rainbow in retirement.

Moorefield's Ronan Sweeney also picked up a four-week suspension after confronting Fahy at the end of the highly entertaining game in Portlaoise on October 24.

The referee drew strong criticism from the Moorefield crowd and from Moorefield manager Jack Sheedy -- the former Dublin footballer -- for a decision that went against them early in the game.

They were incensed at Flynn's second yellow card, which resulted in his dismissal at a time when they were making a strong recovery against the home side.

It's not the first time in recent seasons that Moorefield have been in hot water with the Leinster Council. Their trip to Portlaoise was forced on them. Part of their punishment for incidents in a Leinster club quarter-final against Longford champions Dromard three years ago was that they should play their next two provincial matches away from home. This was the second match under that penalty.

That same season, a spectator who, the Leinster Council established, had links to the club, attempted to strike referee Syl Doyle after a Leinster club semi-final defeat to Westmeath champions Tyrrellspass.

It is also understood that Moorefield received a significant fine following this latest episode.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport