Tuesday 10 December 2019

Kenny awaits scan results as Meath press on

Colm Keys

Colm Keys

MEATH captain Seamus Kenny underwent a scan last night to assess the damage done to his knee, which forced him out of Sunday's Leinster first-round win over Wicklow.

Kenny has suspected medial ligament damage and, depending on the severity, he could be out for up to six weeks.

That would rule him out of their Leinster quarter-final against Carlow in Tullamore on Sunday week and, if they were to win that, a Leinster semi-final against Kildare or Offaly on July 1.

On top of all their other troubles, Meath have had a bad run of injuries in recent months with Mark Ward (ankle) and Shane O'Rourke (hip) out for the season and Stephen Bray, Paddy Gilsenan and Gary O'Brien missing Sunday's match, although Gilsenan was a late addition to the replacements.

Gilsenan and O'Brien should have recovered in time for Carlow while Bray may also be in the frame, though his recovery time from a hamstring injury sustained at training last week may be a little longer.

Meath full-back Kevin Reilly suggested the players had made a pact among themselves to sort out the crisis that afflicted them at the end of their league campaign.

"A couple of weeks ago the players met and, regardless of what happened then, we all agreed it was just about us and our performances," he said.

"We kind of made a promise or pact to ourselves that we were going to pull together and take one game at a time and see where it goes from there."

Reilly has credited manager Seamus McEnaney for adding to his back-room team in the wake of the most recent controversy.

"The season has been very frustrating. We, as a group of players, are training hard. It wasn't a case of us taking our foot off the pedal at all.

"Things weren't going right for various reasons. In fairness to Seamus, he saw this and made a change with the appointment of John (Evans) and he's a breath of fresh air.

"He brought in a few things to us which have helped us in our game. We're not by far the finished product, we're a team in transition, but we're building on it."

Wicklow, meanwhile, are to appeal James Stafford's red card after the midfielder was sent off against Meath.

Stafford picked up a second yellow card for an innocuous challenge on Meath's Alan Forde and manager Harry Murphy confirmed yesterday that they would be seeking to have the decision reversed.

"It's ridiculous to be giving a yellow card for a challenge like that. I don't want to be getting into anything about referees, but that's not on. We will be appealing," he said.

Murphy also confirmed that Leighton Glynn would miss the rest of the inter-county season after breaking his ankle early in the second half.

Who is your sportstar of the year?

Vote in the Irish Independent Sport Star Awards and you could win the ultimate sports prize.

Prizes include, tickets to Ireland's against Scotland in the Six Nations, All Ireland football and hurling final tickets and much more.

Simply click here to register your vote

Irish Independent

The Left Wing: The problem with the Champions Cup, the Stephen Larkham effect and trouble in Welsh rugby

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport