Thursday 14 December 2017

Kelly leads goal blitz to knock down Abbey

ABBEY college, WICKLOW 1-6
LEINSTER Vocational Schools SF
Carnew 1-14
Mountmellick CS 0-8

A Three-goal salvo at the start of the second half helped Dunshaughlin cruise to victory over spirited Abbey College in Dunganny yesterday.

The Wicklow Town side were up against it from the word go, playing into a strong breeze in the first half, but battled bravely, registering scores through Darren Ronan and Conor Cox.

However, Dunshaughlin finally made the breakthrough shortly before the break, with Conor O'Brien's goal giving them a 1-5 to 0-3 half-time lead.

With the breeze behind them in the second period, Abbey College would have been hopeful that they could get something out of this game.

The Meath men, though, upped their game on the resumption as three goals in quick succession from Eimhin Kinsella, James Kelly and Paul Donnellan put them firmly in command

Impressive Wicklow midfielder Theo Smith pulled back a goal, but wing-forward Kelly's second maximum wrapped up the victory.

SCORERS -- Dunshaughlin CC: J Kelly 2-2, C O'Brien 1-2, P Donnellan 1-1, E Kinsella 1-0, D Donnellan 0-2, R Dowd, P Darby 0-1 each. Wicklow Town: T Smith 1-1, D Ronan 0-2, S Duffy, C Cox, P Murphy 0-1 each.

Dunshaughlin CC --J Davis; S Burke, L Ormsby, F Cleary; S Duggan, C McGill, E Cahill; E Kinsella, N Hannon; I Gillett, D Donnellan, J Kelly; C O'Brien, B Davis, P Donnellan. Subs: R O'Dowd for Davis (20); C Whelan for Duggan (h-t), P Darby for Gillett (40), C Phelan for O'Brien (52).

Abbey College -- C Smullen; P O'Connor, R O'Brien, J Cullen; D Kavanagh, J Manley, E Conlon; T Smith, J Snail; C Cox, J Delahunt, D Ronan; W Kavanagh, P Murphy, S Duffy.

O'Toole star for Carnew

Dean O'Toole's magnificent goal sealed a comfortable victory for Carnew yesterday.

Playing with the aid of a strong breeze in the opening half, the visitors from Wicklow looked in trouble when the Laois hosts scored their second point after 25 minutes, reducing the margin to just three.

In the closing minutes of the half, though, Carnew shot three unanswered points to lead by six at the interval.

When the visitors added an early point, the home team were struggling and when the excellent O'Toole soloed past three defenders to hammer home the game's only goal there was no way back for Mountmellick.

Carnew now look forward to a clash with Castleknock in the next round.

Scorers -- Carnew: D O'Toole 1-2, C Doyle 0-4, C Livingston, B McCrea 0-3 each, A Doyle, C Byrne 0-1 each. Mountmellick: J Campion 0-6, D Fitzpatrick, A McRedmond 0-1 each.

Carnew -- W Lillis; S Murphy, M Lyons, C O'Toole; J Smith, M O'Brien, N Dempsey; D Conway, B McCrea; A Doyle, C Livingston, D O'Toole; M Rock, C Doyle, C Byrne. Subs: C Byrne for C Byrne, D Nolan for M Rock.

Mountmellick CS -- S Langan; S Walsh, T McEvoy, C Kenna; J Reddin, E George, K Burke; D Fitzpatrick, D Kelly; A McRedmond, J Campion, P Davis; K Dooley, N Mullen, D Dunphy. Subs: P Allen for B McRedmond, and D Mahon for P Davis.

Ref -- O Ryan (Portlaoise).

Irish Independent Sport Star Awards

Pick our magic sports moment of the year and win a trip for two to London. To view the shortlist and cast your vote click here.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport