James Horan has described as "lazy" any conclusion drawn that Mayo don't have the forwards to progress beyond where they left off in 2012.
As they bid to become the first Mayo team to win a provincial three-in-a-row since the 1949-51 outfit that also claimed their last All-Ireland titles, Horan accepted that as long as an All-Ireland title eludes them they will continue to have that "thrown at us."
"I think it's fairly lazy. We scored 39 points in two games against Dublin last year. That's fairly okay scoring. And another 16 this year (twice against Dublin)," he said.
"We scored high against Down (3-18) and Leitrim 4-20 last year. That's pretty high scoring in anyone's book."
Horan insists that three Connacht titles in a row would be no more than a stepping stone to winning more trophies. Mayo's campaign starts against Galway on Sunday, a game which may come too soon for forward Andy Moran as he recovers from his cruciate knee ligament injury.
"You want to win as many cups as you can, and three Connacht titles in succession would be nice. We're favourites going down to Salthill on Sunday for very logical reasons, so we're looking forward to the challenge," said Horan.
The manager remained upbeat the day after the All-Ireland final defeat to Donegal, taking the positives out of their recovery from a seven-point deficit early on that threatened to rip them apart, but acknowledges that Mayo were far from their best that day.
"We performed well, but not as well as I know that team can and as the team itself knows it is capable of. So, that was the disappointing thing for us. It's to try and make up that gap."
Meanwhile, Sligo legend Eamonn O'Hara has announced his retirement from inter-county football after 19 years playing for the Yeats County.