Sport Gaelic Football

Saturday 20 January 2018

Galvin faces two month ban

Colm Keys

Colm Keys

Paul Galvin is facing the prospect of another two months on the sidelines after the CCCC reviewed the incident he was involved in during the latter stages of Sunday's Munster football semi- final replay against Cork.

Television cameras clearly establish that Galvin pushed his hand into Cadogan's face and tugged the inside of his cheek with his index finger as the players clashed after Galvin had tackled the Cork defender.

The CCCC determined at a scheduled meeting yesterday in Croke Park that he could have a case to answer under the terms of Rule 7.2b, which incorporates behaviour that may be deemed dangerous to an opponent.

The matter is now in the hands of referee Pat McEnaney, who had the clip of the incident sent to him yesterday. He is due to convey his decision to the CCCC this morning.

If Galvin does face the anticipated charge and can't convince a potential hearings committee that he doesn't deserve to be suspended, he will pick up another one-month ban, which will be doubled because it is a repeat Category Two offence. That would rule him out of the Munster football final with Limerick and a potential All-Ireland quarter-final on the first weekend in August.

Galvin was suspended for two months in February after an incident with Cadogan in an ill-tempered league match in Pairc Ui Rinn, when they were both sent off after only 20 minutes. That suspension was also doubled as Galvin had been sent off in the corresponding Munster final replay 12 months previously.

Earlier in the day, Kerry manager Jack O'Connor declared that he felt Galvin would escape any censure in a radio interview.

Hailing McEnaney as "the best referee in the country", O'Connor appeared to put his faith in the Monaghan official not to revisit the issue.

"If you go back over the game at the weekend and maybe last weekend with it and you look at every incident, the boardroom would be pretty busy," said O'Connor.

"I'm pretty sure he'll be okay, you have the best referee in the country looking at it from two yards away and there was a bit going on, on both sides."

McEnaney has had to revisit a number of incidents at the request of the CCCC over the last 12 months. Last summer, he missed incidents involving Dublin's Ciaran Whelan and Denis Bastick in Dublin's All-Ireland quarter- final defeat to Kerry, for which they were retrospectively banned for four weeks.

And earlier this year, three Tyrone players and one from Derry picked up suspensions after the CCCC reviewed their opening league match in Celtic Park and asked McEnaney to reflect on a series of incidents that took place.

McEnaney has received support for other decisions he took during the Munster semi-final replay from the head of the national referees committee Michael Curley, who felt, on the red card issued involving Graham Canty after he picked up a second yellow and on his refusal to award a late free to Eoin Cadogan, that the official had got it right.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport