Saturday 25 November 2017

Dublin may be in hot water after alleged biting incident

Tomas O Ruanaidh

Exclusive: An alleged biting incident involving a Dublin footballer and a DCU player occurred during their O'Byrne Cup clash in Parnell Park.

The alleged incident happened in the second half of the game and was followed by an altercation between a number of players, where two yellow cards were issued. The incident was then brought to the attention of referee David Gough later in the game.

DCU GAA Club chairman Alan Coyne said: "If it is included in the referee's report it's a matter for the Leinster Council to investigate. But DCU GAA club have no comment on the matter at this time."

Leinster chairman Martin Skelly explained: "The procedure will be that, if there's any incident in the referee's report that warrants investigation, then our CCCC disciplinary committee will convene and set out a route from there."

The students beat the All-Ireland winners by 3-8 to 0-16 after a late point by Ballymun Kickhams man Davy Byrne. DCU have progressed to the semi-finals of the competition, where they face Meath next Sunday.

A Dublin footballer was accused of biting a Donegal player in their drawn National Football League game last spring.

A couple of weeks later, a Cavan U-21 footballer was the victim of another biting incident in a club league game in the county.

The controversial Dublin-Donegal case was dropped, despite evidence of 'laceration' being presented by Donegal officials, after their chief witness chose not to provide evidence at the final hearing.

The alleged incident yesterday afternoon will come as a surprise due to the close relationship between the university and the All-Ireland winners. The referee's report is pending, and it remains to be seen whether or not the incident will be mentioned.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport