Sunday 18 February 2018

Coláiste Eoin made pay the penalty as Sheridan seals title for Pat's

Conor Sheridan turned from villain to hero within seconds as St Patrick's overcame Coláiste Eoin in a dramatic finish at Parnell Park.

With his side trailing by a point in injury-time, Sheridan showed courage in going for goal when his team were awarded a penalty. His initial effort was repelled by Daniel Ó Caoimh, but the rebound fell invitingly for the Simonstown midfielder, who crashed the ball into the net.

There was still time for more drama as, in a final attack, Coláiste Eoin cleverly worked the ball to substitute Maitias Mac Donncha, but his shot from eight metres went over the bar and the Gaelscoil's chance was lost.

St Pat's had raced into an early three-point lead inside five minutes, with corner-forward Fiachra Ross getting all three scores from play. A Pól Ó Fógartaigh point stemmed the flow briefly but further points from Ross, Fiachra McEntee, Darragh Maguire, Paddy Fox and Alan Forde had Colm O'Rourke's charges cruising at 0-8 to 0-1 at the end of the first quarter.


However, with Donal Sutcliffe and Aran Ó Murchú becoming more prominent, the Dublin school closed the gap through a Colm Mac Gearailt free to trail by 0-8 to 0-2 at the interval.

Coláiste Eoin dominated the second half and their hopes of a comeback were raised on 40 minutes when substitute Alex Ó Maoilmhiaigh netted superbly from 10 metres after a flick by Marc Schutte.

Further points from Ó Murchú, Sutcliffe and Mac Donncha had the Gaelscoil level with 10 minutes remaining, but St Pat's showed immense composure in regaining the lead through fine scores from Forde and Shane Gillespie.

The ebb and flow of this absorbing encounter continued and when Seán Mac Craith lofted a long ball to the edge of the square, Schutte gathered to finish clinically for what seemed to be the decisive score.

However, St Pat's mustered one final attack and when Ross was bundled over in the square by Sutcliffe, Sheridan stepped up to settle the contest at the second attempt and secure a ninth Leinster senior title for St Pat's.

Scorers -- St Pat's: F Ross 0-4, C Sheridan 1-0, A Forde, F McEntee, S Gillespie 0-2 each, D Maguire, P Fox 0-1 each. Coláiste Eoin: A Ó Maoilmhiaigh, M Schutte 1-0 each, M Mac Donncha 0-3, D Sutcliffe (0-1f, 0-1 '45) 0-2, P Ó Fógartaigh, C Mac Gearailt (0-1f), A Ó Murchú 0-1 each.

St Pat's -- C Flynn; C Wickham, C McConnell, C Noonan; N Groome, D Maguire, C Finnegan; C Sheridan, S Barry; C Fitzsimons, A Forde, P Fox; F Ross, S Gillespie, F McEntee. Sub: L Bourke for Fitzsimons (h/t)

Coláiste Eoin -- D Ó Caoimh; S Ó Seasnáin, E Ó Loinsigh, D Ó hAodha; G Ó Fógartaigh, A Ó Murchú, J Mac Cionnaith; J Mac Suibhne, D Sutcliffe; M Schutte, P Ó Dálaigh, C Mac Gearlait; B Ó Murchú, S Mac Craith, P Ó Fógartaigh. Subs: C Mac Binéid for Ó hAodha (7), M Ó Duibhir for Ó Dálaigh (h/t), M Mac Donncha for Mac Gearailt (38), A Ó Maoilmhiaigh for Ó Fógartaigh (38), Ó Dálaigh for Ó Murchú (56)

Ref -- Derek Fahy (Longford)

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport