Wednesday 24 January 2018

Clare eye promotion after easing past Exiles

NFL Div 4 NHL Div 2B All-Ireland Col sfc semi-finalS

Clare kept their promotion hopes alive with a comfortable win at Cusack Park yesterday – and a win over Limerick in the final round next Sunday should ensure a place in Division 3 for next season.

London 0-8

Clare kept their promotion hopes alive with a comfortable win at Cusack Park yesterday – and a win over Limerick in the final round next Sunday should ensure a place in Division 3 for next season.

London looked the better side in the early stages and were two points to the good by the fifth minute. A further four minutes had elapsed before Clare opened their account when a good move ended with David Tubridy providing the pass for Rory Donnelly to fist home a goal.

By the 15th minute Clare were three points clear after Tubridy (2) and Donnelly had added points, and a goal was still the difference 10 minutes later after both sides had added two points.

By now the Clare attack was putting some good moves together and they added two excellent points from Tubridy before Gary Brennan finished off an excellent move with the home side's second goal.

A point from captain Brennan inside the first minute of the second half made Clare's determination to win clear and the Banner were always in control from there on.

Scorers – Clare: D Tubridy 0-7, G Brennan, R Donnelly 1-1 each, M McCarthy 0-2, S McGrath, G Quinlan, J keane 0-1 each. London: L Colfer, L Mulvey 0-2 each, C Magee, C McCallion, E O'Neill, G Mitchell 0-1 each.

Clare: Joe Hayes; C Dixon, S McNeilis, E Coughlan; D Callinan, G Kelly, John Hayes; G Brennan, C O'Connor; A Clohessy, S McGrath C Dunning; M McCarthy, R Donnelly, D Tubridy. Subs: I McInerney for Clohessy, J Keane for McGrath, K Malone for Donnelly, G Quinlan for O'Connor, F Hayes for Dunning

London: D Traynor; K Lynham, S Mulligan, D McGreevy; S Hannon, E McConvile, T Gaughan; G Donnelly, C Doyle; L Mulvey, L Colfer, C McCallion; P McGoldrick, M Gottsche, C Magee. Subs: G Magee for D McGreevy, E O'Neill for P McGoldrick, G Mitchell for Colfer, M Callery for Doyle, G Carr for McConville

Referee: J Hickey (Carlow)

MEATH 3-18


MEATH maintained their 100 per cent winning sequence in their concluding league fixture at Pairc Tailteann.

Having already secured a final spot against London, manager Cillian Farrell made seven changes but they still proved much too strong for their relegation-threatened opponents. Early goals from Mark O'Sullivan and Barry Slevin set Meath on their way before full-forward Ciaran Reid netted for Armagh.

That left it 2-7 to 1-6 in favour of the hosts at the break but it was one-way traffic in the second half as Bart Hanley added a goal on 38 minutes and scores from Paddy Conneely, Noel Kirby and substitute Aaron Ennis made it comfortable for Meath at the finish.

Scorers – Meath: B Slevin 1-5 (4f), M O'Sullivan, B Hanley 1-1 each, N Kirby 0-3, A Gannon, A Ennis, P Conneely 0-2 each, J Kelly, D Magee (f) 0-1 each. Armagh: M Lennon 0-5 (4f), R Gaffney 0-3 (1f), C Reid 1-0, F Bradley, N Green 0-1 each.

Referee: G McGrath (Dublin)

Down 1-22

Mayo 1-14

DOWN comfortably defeated Mayo to finish third in the division.

The Mourne men finished only one place higher in the table than their beaten opponents but the chasm in quality between the two sides was apparent throughout.

Mayo showed promise in the opening exchanges but a barren spell that lasted 21 minutes in the first half allowed Down to build a lead that they didn't relinquish.

Down held a not insurmountable 0-13 to 0-8 lead at the interval but then Daniel Toner scored a goal on 42 minutes that effectively ended the game as a contest.

Mayo showed some spirit to grab a goal through Stephen Hoban with 20 minutes left to play, but it failed to kick-start the comeback that manager Christy Phillips might have been hoping for.

Scorers – Down: P Braniff 0-6 (3f), D Toner 1-2, P Sheehan 0-4, C Woods, S Nicholson 0-3 each, M Turley, E Clarke 0-2 each. Mayo: K Feeney 0-6 (5f, 1 '65'), S Regan 0-4 (2f), S Hoban 1-0, D McTigue 0-2, P O'Flynn, D McDonnell 0-1 each.

Referee: P Murphy (Carlow)



A BLISTERING first half meant London could afford to turn in a flat performance after the break at Ruislip and still comfortably book their league final spot.

They now look forward to a decider with Meath while Roscommon finish bottom of the table and face a relegation play-off.

Inspired by two goals from Jonathan Maher and accurate free-taker Donie Reale, the Exiles took advantage of the stiff breeze and raced into a 2-10 to 0-1 lead after just 21 minutes. The Rossies managed just three points before the change of ends but were spared a hiding because London, too, struggled with the elements and looked a touch complacent in the second half. Ronan O'Meara and Tomás Seale raised green flags after the break as the visitors restored pride.

Scorers – London: D Reale 0-8 (7f), Maher 2-2, K Walsh 0-3, S Frawley 0-2, D Moore, E Cooney, S Keane 0-1 each. Roscommon: Cathal Kelly 0-5f, R O'Meara, T Seale 1-1 each, S Curley, G Fallon (1f), E Kenny 0-1 each.

Referee: L McAuley (Antrim)

St Pat's Navan 2-7

PS Corcha Dhuibhne 0-11

ST PATRICK'S of Navan held off a spirited second-half fightback from Pobalscoil Corcha Dhuibhne in Nenagh to book a place in the 'A' final on April 13.

Pobalscoil Corcha Dhuibhne manager Eamonn Fitzmaurice dashed back from a Kerry training camp in Portugal to take his place on the touchline but his side trailed by 2-5 to 0-4 at half-time after early goals from Barry Dardis and Robert McDonnell had handed St Pat's the initiative.

St Pat's managed just two points in the second half as Corcha Dhuibhne, with Tomas O Se, Tom O'Suilleabhain and captain Eanna O Conchuir to the fore, came storming back into contention, but the Meath boys held out.

Scorers – St Pat's: R McDonnell 1-3 (0-2f), B Dardis 1-0, N O'Brien 0-2, J McEntee, N Lyons 0-1 each. Pobalscoil Corcha Dhuibhne: T O Suilleabhain 0-4 (1f), T O Se 0-3, E O Conchuir 0-2, P Breathnach, S O Muircheartaigh (f) 0-1 each.

Referee: R Hickey (Clare)

St Pat's Maghera 3-8

St Gerald's C'bar 1-7

Ulster champions St Pat's Maghera are through to the Hogan Cup final after having seven points to spare over Connacht representatives St Gerald's Castlebar at Brewster Park in Enniskillen.

The Mayo lads were the better side in the opening 20 minutes and with the wind at their backs they established a 0-5 to 0-2 lead, with James Durcan and Mark McHugh on target.

They failed to score for the remainder of the half, though, and points from Danny Tallon and Neil McNicholl were followed by quick-fire goals from Conor Glass and Gerald Bradley as Maghera turned things around to lead 2-5 to 0-5 at the break.

In the third quarter St Gerald's hit back with a goal from Eamon Regan but Maghera weren't to be denied, with Glass getting his second goal.

Scorers – St Pat's: C Glass 2-0, G Bradley 1-0, C Carville 0-2, P Cassidy (1f), D Tallon 0-2 each, N McNicholl, S O'Hara (f) 0-1 each. St Gerald's: J Durcan 0-4 (3f), E Regan 1-0, M McHugh ('45'), M Plunket, R Carolan 0-1 each.

Referee: N Mooney (Cavan)

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport