Sport Gaelic Football

Friday 23 February 2018

Cavan find extra gear to advance

CAVAN 1-22 DERRY 0-20 (after extra-time)(after extra-time)

Orla Bannon

Cavan produced a sizzling performance in the heat in Celtic Park to progress to the fourth-round qualifiers.

The sides finished 0-18 apiece after normal time but Cian Mackey got the match-winning goal six minutes into the second half of extra-time.

Cavan had kept Derry scoreless in the first period, and kicked three points themselves, with Michael Argue's long-range effort a real confidence booster in the first minute. The injured Martin Dunne came back on again in extra-time but only lasted a few minutes before having to go off again.

Eoin Bradley blazed the ball over three minutes into the second half of extra-time when a goal chance was on. That was Derry's last hope as Cavan had the ball in the back of the opposite net two minutes later courtesy of Mackey.

Cavan – who face the losers of London v Mayo in the next round – had led from the 23rd minute of the first half and didn't fall behind until the 67th minute through a point from sub Emmett Bradley.

It looked as though Derry were going to snatch it as they finished strongly, with Mark Lynch unerring from high-pressure free-kicks.

Derry notched three points in a row to lead by one with normal time almost up but Martin Reilly hit back with his fourth point from play to tie it up at 17 points apiece.

Cavan were furious when Maurice Deegan then awarded Derry a free for a foul on Bradley. Lynch duly converted it in the second minute of stoppage-time for what looked like the winner but Deegan played on and Cavan somehow scrambled an equaliser through Damien O'Reilly to leave it 0-18 piece.

Eugene Keating was forced to take over the free-taking duties after Dunne went off and he missed two long-range efforts in the last 10 minutes.

Derry were denied a clear penalty for what looked a foul on Bradley after 15 minutes. Ryan Bell, one of the stars of Derry's qualifier win over Down, kicked a superb ball in to Bradley, who beat Killian Clarke in the air and turned to shoot.

Just as he turned, his legs were taken away from him by a combination of two Cavan defenders. Deegan was quite a distance away, however, and rejected Derry's impassioned appeals.

Lynch's superb free-taking kept them in the game after a poor second quarter when they were outscored by 0-6 to 0-3.

Three frees from Dunne, plus a lovely left-footed point from distance from Ronan Flanagan got Cavan in front and they were good value for their 0-9 to 0-7 half-time lead.

Scorers – Cavan: M Dunne (5f) 0-6, M Reilly (1f) 0-5, E Keating (1f) 0-3, C Mackey 1-0, D McVitty, M Argue 0-2 each, R Flanagan, J Brady, D Givney, D O'Reilly 0-1 each. Derry: M Lynch 0-8 (7f), J Kielt (2f), Eoin Bradley (2f) 0-3 each, R Bell 0-2, E Lynn, A Devlin, Emmet Bradley, E McGuckin 0-1 each.

Cavan: A O'Mara; J McEnroe, R Dunne, K Clarke; D O'Reilly, A Clarke, R Flanagan; T Corr, D Givney; C Mackey, J Brady, F Flanagan; M Reilly, M Dunne, E Keating. Subs: K Tierney for Givney (36), D McVitty (0-2) for Clarke (57), M Argue for Dunne (60), K Brady for McEnroe (65), M McKeever for Mackey (68).

Derry: E McNicholl; A McAlynn, C McKaigue, D McBride; C Kielt, M Lynch, SL McGoldrick; P Bradley, C McAtamney; B Heron, J Kielt, E Lynn; R Bell, E Bradley, E McGuckin. Subs: D Brown for McAtamney (32), C McFaul for C Kielt (46), L Kennedy for McGuckin (49), A Devlin for Herron (55), Emmett Bradley for P Bradley (64).

Referee: M Deegan (Laois)

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport