Friday 17 November 2017

Eight-goal Armagh romp to 27-point win over Leitrim

Eugene McVerry, Armagh, shoots to score his side's fourth goal despite the efforts of Ciaran Egan and Cathal McCrann
Eugene McVerry, Armagh, shoots to score his side's fourth goal despite the efforts of Ciaran Egan and Cathal McCrann

Armagh scored four goals in either half as they obliterated Leitrim by 27 points in front of a dejected crowd at the Pairc Sean MacDiarmada in Carrick-On-Shannon.

After Armagh annihilated Wicklow by 27 points in the last round, most analysts feared for Leitrim this evening and their fears were realised in an embarrassing fashion.

Kevin Conlon ended the game with nine points for Leitrim, most of those were frees, but this game was all about a rampant Armagh side who no one will want to draw Paul Grimley's side on Monday morning.

Jamie Clarke and Tony Kernan pointed before Eugene McVerry goaled for Armagh on 10 minutes capitalising on a mistake in the Leitrim defence to give them a perfect start.

Leitrim were being forced into attempts from distance but couldn’t convert them.  Leitrim finally opened their account after 16 minutes from a free with Kevin Conlon converting a free that was drawn by Robbie Lowe.

The home side had plenty of possession but the Orchard County were in control  with Tony Kernan adding a free before the industrious Jamie Clarke set up Kernan for Armagh’s second goal.

Conlon responded with his second free but Armagh were in merciless mood when Kevin Dyas blasted through the defence in a 35-metre run before finding the net after Jamie Clarke had added his second point of the game.

Kevin Conlon’s third point gave the crowd in Carrick-On-Shannon something small to shout about but Aaron Kernan cancelled this out with a free of his own.

Eugene McVerry got his second goal before the break and the game was already lost for the Connacht side.

Both sides traded points before Tony Kernan kicked a superb score from distance.

Aaron Kernan opened the second half scoring before Kevin Conlon kicked his fifth free of the game minutes later.

Eugene McVerry completed his hat-trick after Aaron Kernan’s superb run. Soon afterwards Armagh had their sixth goal with Mark Shields the scorer.

Cathal McCrann pulled off a great save to deny Armagh their seventh goal but Tony Kernan converted the resulting 45 and Armagh led by 6-10 to 0-5.

Kevin Conlon scored Leitrim’s first point from play in the 49th minute, a testament to how completely overawed they were.

Another Armagh goal seemed likely and it arrived for their star-man Jamie Clarke and shortly afterwards they had scored an incredible eight goals.

Both sides traded points late on and the scoreline was 8-13 to 0-10 at the finish.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport