Thursday 18 October 2018

Donegal and Warwickshire claim silverware at Croke Park

Joe Boyle, Donegal Captain holds aloft the Nicky Rackard Cup.
Joe Boyle, Donegal Captain holds aloft the Nicky Rackard Cup.
Warwickshire captian Conal Maskey lifts the Lory Meagher Cup.

14-man Donegal claimed the Nicky Rackard Cup today after high-scoring thriller against Roscommon at Croke Park.

The Ulster side edged out Roscommon by 3-20 to 3-16 after a fabulous game of hurling.

Roscommon led by 2-10 to 1-10 at the break thanks to goals from Gerry Fallon, who scored 2-7 on the day, and Cathal Kelly while Donegal's goalscorer was Sean McVeigh who finished to the net after a fabulous run.

Donegal got the second half off to the best possible start with Paddy Hannigan drawing the sides level with a goal from the opening attack of the half.

The Rossies hit back almost immediately with Fallon's second goal.

When Ronan McDermott was sent off for a second yellow it looked like Roscommon would take control but it was Donegal who gained the upper hand.

A second Hannigan goal and some superb shooting from Lee Henderson helped Donegal to a five point lead.

Roscommon rallied and Fallon had a number of goal efforts saved before late points from Danny Cullen and Stephen Boyle settled the game.

Earlier in the day, Warwickshire made history today by claiming the Lory Meagher Cup with a 12-point win over Longford.

A strong second half showing was the key for the Exiles as they ran out winners by 2-16 to 0-10.

Warwickshore thanks to points from Enda Lyons, Sean Hennessey and Patrick Duggan made a bright start.

Longford rallied with a number of successful frees before Warwickshire's first goal arrived in the 21st minute as Enda Lyons fired low past Eanna Daly.

There was another piece of history before the break when Hawkeye was used for the first time to rule that a Warwickshire 65 had gone wide.

Longford had the better of the closing stages of the first half but trailed by 1-9 to 0-8 at the break.

Longford closed to within two after the break but never scored again as Warwickshire took control.

Eamonn Gleeson's long range effort went all the way to the net late on to seal the victory.

Online Editors

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport