Sunday 21 October 2018

Cosgrove on target as Crokes advance


KILMACUD CROKES 2-7 ST PETER'S, DUNBOYNE 1-9 SPOT ON, no bother this certainly was not for Dublin champions Kilmacud Crokes at Navan yesterday when they were pushed to the very limit in a Leinster Club SFC clash which matched any Dublin v Meath duel for edge of the seat tension.

The Stillorgan side looked to have created some breathing space for themselves when Ray Cosgrove reacted quickest to finish to the net following David Gallagher's save from Pat Burke.

That goal put them 2-6 to 0-7 clear, but in typical Meath style, the Dunboyne side inspired by Nigel Crawford struck back with an opportunistic goal from Brendan Reilly.

A point from Denis Gallagher closed the gap to the minimum and Kilmacud lived on their nerves as Dunboyne threw everything into getting an equaliser.

But eight minutes later Cosgrove, who was involved in a titanic battle with Enda McManus for the hour, was punching the air defiantly after scoring the decisive point following a great move involving Jonathan Magee, Mick O'Keefe and Peter Ward.

Crokes held a 0-5 to 0-4 interval lead after a nervous, scrappy opening 30 minutes. Ward, who flew back from Italy yesterday morning and did not start, got Crokes' first goal ten minutes after the break when the ball was deflected to the net as Maurice Finn attempted to block down the shot.

SCORERS Kilmacud Crokes: R Cosgrove 1-2, P Ward 1-0, R Brennan, P Burke, M Dillon, J Costelloe 0-1 each, M O'Keefe 0-1 (free). St Peter's, Dunboyne: B Reilly 1-0, A McEntee 0-3 (2f, 1 '45) K Gannon 0-2 (1f), G McGovern, T Byrne, N Crawford, D Gallagher 0-1 each.

KILMACUD CROKES M Jones, C O'Dwyer, C Deegan, C Cleary, J O'Callaghan, J Magee, C Redmond, J Costelloe, M Leahy, M Duncan, M Dillon, P Burke, R Cosgrove, R Brennan, M O'Keefe. Subs: P Ward for Duncan, P Walsh for Brennan.

ST PETER'S D Gallagher, J Dowdall, P Watters, E McManus, M Finn, L Duggan, G McGovern, N Crawford, M O'Toole, D Gallagher, B Reilly, T Byrne, K Gannon, D Smith, A McEntee. Sub: L Reilly for O'Toole.

REF E Murtagh (Longford).

Turley and Ware silence the Clan


CARLOW king-pins Eire Og booked their place in the Leinster club SFC semi-final with a storming second half display at Dundalk yesterday.

Eire Og who have won the Leinster title four times, trailed by 0-7 to 0-5 at the interval, but they completely overwhelmed Louth side Clan na Gael in the second half.

Within seven minutes of the restart they were ahead, and four minutes later Clan na Gael suffered a killer blow when Martin Kerley was sent off for a second bookable offence. Having already lost former Louth captain Seamus O'Hanlon with a hamstring injury after just 16 minutes, the Gaels were unable to cope with this further setback.

Eire Og never looked back after this, with Laois star Leo Turley sending over five second half points, Garvan Ware adding three more, and Brendan Hayden converting a 45.

Teenager Bernard Hennessey, who came on as a sub for the impressive Peter Kingston, added the final touch when he scored a goal with his first touch in the final minute.

SCORERS Eire Og: L Turley 0-5 (1 free), G Ware 0-4 (1 free), B Carbery 0-4 (4 frees), B Hennessy 1-0, B Hayden 0-1 (45). Clan na Gael: D Staunton 0-2, C O'Hanlon 0-2, S Dixon 0-1 (45), S O'Hanlon 0-1 (sideline), P McEneaney 0-1, N O'Hagan 0-1, B O'Connor 0-1.

EIRE OG J Kearns; B Hayden, A Corcoran, J Dooley; J Murphy, P Doyle, A Callinan; G Ware, J Morrisey;, JJ Eyres, P Kingston, H Brennan; B Carbery, L Turley, W Quinlan. Subs: P McCarthy for JJ Eyres, K Haughney for H Brennan, B Hennessy for P Kingston.

CLAN NA GAEL N O'Donnell; P Fallan, S Dixon, R McShane; S Hearty, T Staunton, P Fitzpatrick; S O'Hanlon, G Curran; P McEneaney, M Kerley, B Duffy; N O'Hagan, B O'Connor, C O'Hanlon. Subs: D Staunton for S O'Hanlon, B O'Hanlon for N O'Hagan, G Smith for S Hearty.

REF Seamus McCormack (Meath).

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport