Leeds performed an astonishing U-turn on Saturday by announcing that Brian McDermott had not been sacked and remained their first-team manager.
McDermott was on Friday told by a lawyer working on the instruction of Leeds' prospective owner Massimo Cellino that he had been dismissed following a series of bizarre off-the-field incidents.
The 52-year-old was consequently absent from Saturday's 5-1 win over Huddersfield which was watched by Gianluca Festa, the man it appeared Cellino had lined up to replace McDermott.
But to add more confusion it emerged McDermott had been invited to the game and declined, before the League Managers Association said on Saturday afternoon that McDermott had been sacked by someone who had no authority to do so. Leeds duly responded by saying the ex-Reading man remained in charge.
"The club would like to make it clear that Brian McDermott remains our first team manager," a statement, issued after the West Yorkshire derby match, read.
"He has not been dismissed from his post as has been suggested and we look forward to him continuing in his role with us in taking Leeds United forwards."
Telegraph Media Group Limited