Cardiff owner Vincent Tan blames Malky Mackay for relegation
Cardiff owner Vincent Tan has laid the blame for relegation firmly at the feet of former manager Malky Mackay.
The Bluebirds were consigned to the Football League by a 3-0 defeat at Newcastle earlier this month.
However, it is Mackay, and not current boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer - appointed as the Scot's replacement in January - who Tan believes is responsible for their demise.
In an outspoken interview with www.walesonline.co.uk, he said: "Why wouldn't you blame him for relegation? He took this club to the Championship.
"If I had not invested, he couldn't have (won promotion). Why didn't he earn promotion with Watford? He was their manager for two years, finishing 14th and then maybe 16th.
"When Dave Jones was here, he took us to the play-offs. Malky Mackay came here as a non-performer at Watford and I gave him £15million to spend.
"I say the fans must be asked to use their heads and brains to think, not make decisions from the heart.
"Sometimes, when you make decisions from the heart, you don't think straight."
Mackay had been at the helm for two and a half years when he was shown the door in December, much to the fury of fans who had just a few months earlier celebrated the club's elevation to the top flight as runaway winners of the Sky Bet Championship.
At the time, City were a point clear of the drop zone, although owner and manager had been embroiled in a very public row during the weeks which preceded the manager's exit.
However, Tan remains unrepentant and once again criticised Mackay's transfer dealings, and in particular his swoop for then 20-year-old Danish striker Andreas Cornelius.
He said: "I gave him a big budget and he spent it on the wrong people. We were supposed to have a main striker and we signed a 20-year-old, paying him £45,000 a week.
"We paid more than £10million. The reported £7.5million is not the right number. It was over £10million. And, guess what? He hardly started.
"Why pay so much for a main striker, pay £45,000 a week, more than Craig Bellamy, and then don't start him?
"Stupid decisions. This is a manager who knows how to run a business? People ask why I am angry. Wouldn't you be if you hired somebody and this was the kind of performance?"
On Friday it was announced that Mackay had dropped his legal claim against the club after reaching a settlement on his sacking.
The terms of the agreement were kept closely guarded but it is understood Mackay was seeking substantial compensation for his dismissal.
The Scot issued a conciliatory statement through lawyers in which he apologised "without reservation" to Tan.
Mackay's statement, released through Slater & Gordon Lawyers, read: "Today I have reached a settlement agreement dropping all claims I have made against Cardiff City Football Club. I did not want to be in litigation and believe that it is in the best interests of all parties to have a clean break and move on."
The statement continued: "I have enjoyed my time at Cardiff City and I am most grateful to the board of Cardiff City and Vincent Tan for giving me the opportunity. The club's owner Mr Vincent Tan invested heavily in the club and supported our decisions in our push for promotion to the Premier League. Without him this would not have been possible.
"My thanks to all those at the club and the fans who have supported me during my time in Wales. If I have caused any offence to anyone during this time, especially to Vincent Tan, then I apologise without reservation.
"I wish everyone associated with Cardiff City FC all the best for the future and thank them for their support.
"I will not be commenting further on this matter."
Who is your sportstar of the year?
Vote in the Irish Independent Sport Star Awards and you could win the ultimate sports prize.
Prizes include, tickets to Ireland's against Scotland in the Six Nations, All Ireland football and hurling final tickets and much more.