Wednesday 17 January 2018

Bohemians take big step towards survival

Rónán Mac Lochlainn

Bohemians took a progressive step towards preserving their top flight status as they comfortably overcame ten-man Derry City by 2-0 in their AIrtricity League Premier Division tie at Dalymount Park last night.

They were indebted to a dominant opening quarter performance in which they out-thought their beleaguered opponents with midfielder Ryan McEvoy helping himself to a brace to reflect the hosts’ supremacy.

The hosts were handed a dream start inside five minutes as McEvoy converted calmly from the penalty spot in the 5th minute after David McDaid had made an injudicious challenge on Stephen Traynor inside the area.

The visitors looked especially vulnerable down their left flank in the initial stages and Dinny Corcoran was unfortunate to see his close-range shot deflected wide of the target in the 13th minute after fine play involving Derek Pender and Keith Buckley.

Given their dominance, it was of scant surprise when they Gypsies doubled their advantage in the 22nd minute with a goal of rare beauty as Buckley’s driving run from inside his own half ended in a sublime header from McEvoy that flew past a helpless Gerard Doherty.

Another sortie down their right-wing almost culminated in McEvoy’s hat-trick four minutes later but his header from 12 yards lacked the precision of his earlier effort, with Traynor the provider on this occasion.   

Bohemians retreated somewhat as the half progressed and they were fortunate to maintain their two-goal advantage as Rory Patterson arrowed a 20-yard volley inches wide of Dean Delany’s upright five minutes before the break.  

The opening exchanges of the second-half mirrored those of the opening period with Bohs assuming command and after Luke Byrne had fired a cross-shot narrowly wide in the 50th minute, Corcoran went even closer with a glancing header from Pender’s cross two minutes later.

Matters deteriorated for City in the 68th minute as Ryan McBride allowed Corcoran free on goal with his subsequent rash challenge on the edge of the area prompting his inevitable dismissal from referee Alan Kelly.

The contest petered out from that point with a 76th minute shot from Simon Madden that shaved the upright the closest that Derry came to gaining any tangible rewards from a disappointing evening for the Foylesiders.   

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport