Friday 13 December 2019

Adam Radwan treble helps keep Newcastle perfect in the Challenge Cup

The Falcons end their qualifying campaign with a 100 per cent record.

By Press Association Sport staff

Adam Radwan scored a hat-trick of tries as Newcastle made it six wins from six in Challenge Cup Pool One after a 33-19 win over Enisei-STM.

Federico Giliberti went over for an early try that Aleksandr Budychenko converted to give the hosts an early 7-0 lead, but Newcastle rallied with tries from Mark Wilson, Radwan (two) and Toby Flood, who converted three times to give the Falcons a 26-7 half-time lead.

Anton Sychev crossed to get the home side back into the game before Radwan completed his hat-trick and Mikheil Gachechiladze added a late consolation for the Georgian side.

Dragons edged into second place in the pool on points difference after beating Union Bordeaux Begles 33-17.

Elliot Dee, Cory Hill, Ashton Hewitt, Lloyd Fairbrother and Pat Howard scored their tries and they must now wait to see if that is good enough to qualify for the quarter-finals.

London Irish boosted their own faint hopes of qualifying as a best-placed runner-up with a 24-17 victory at Krasny Yar.

Tom Fowlie scored a brace of tries and Matt Williams and Ben Loader also crossed but the Exiles remain reliant on other results going their way.

Niyi Adeolokun scored a first-half hat-trick as Pool Five leaders Connacht ended the group campaign with a 50-14 win over Oyonnax.

Bundee Aki, Tiernan O’Halloran, Matt Healy and Thomas Farrell also went over for Connacht, who were awarded a penalty try, too.

Zebre beat Agen 38-30 with both teams already eliminated.

Lloyd Williams and Tom Williams crossed for already qualified Cardiff Blues, who were also awarded a penalty try in the 21-18 win over Lyon in Pool Two.

Sale, who were already out of the competition, were beaten 28-21 by Toulouse.

Marland Yarde, Luke James and Josh Beaumont scored their tries with Will Addison converting all three.

Edinburgh Rugby secured a home quarter-final against Cardiff Blues despite going down 17-10 in Paris to Stade Francais.

Richard Cockerill’s side, guaranteed to finish top of Pool 4 going into their final group game, scored two second-half tries through Damien Hoyland and Dougie Fife, but slipped to their first defeat in this season’s tournament.

Worcester Warriors were denied a place in the knockout stages after losing their final pool match to Brive, who won 33-7 in a delayed kick-off after the game was switched from its scheduled venue.

Warriors required at least two points from their final group fixture to guarantee their place in the quarter-finals, but Brive went over for five tries to clinch a bonus point win needed to leapfrog them into second place.

Brive’s home ground, the Stade Amedee-Domenech, was water-logged so kick-off was delayed four-and-a-half hours while the venue was switched to nearby Stade Alexandra Cueuille.

Who is your sportstar of the year?

Vote in the Irish Independent Sport Star Awards and you could win the ultimate sports prize.

Prizes include, tickets to Ireland's against Scotland in the Six Nations, All Ireland football and hurling final tickets and much more.

Simply click here to register your vote

PA Media

The Left Wing: John Cooney on Ulster's European run and bouncing back from World Cup disappointment

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport