Monday 23 April 2018

Terrific Temple!

Temple Carrig 2-11 Col Chraobh Abh 1-04

Jim Murphy presents Joseph Prendergast with the cup.
Jim Murphy presents Joseph Prendergast with the cup.
The Temple Carrig team and supporters celebrate after they defeated Coláiste Chraobh Abhann in the first year 'A' football final in Bray last Friday afternoon.
Temple Carrig captain Joseph Prendergast is hoisted high after guiding his side to first year 'A' glory

Brendan Lawrence at Bray Emmets GAA Club

Temple Carrig school in Greystones claimed the first year 'A' football crown in Bray Emmets GAA Club last Friday afternoon with a fully deserved victory over Coláiste Chraobh Abhann.

Just three years in existence, the Temple Carrig side claimed the 'B' crown last year and this year launched a blistering attack on the 'A' grade and they dismantled a brave Coláiste Chraobh Abhann unit who had no answer to the physicality and footballing prowess of their north Wicklow brethren.

The Greystones outfit might have feared for their slender lead at half-time of 1-06 to 1-01 considering that they had played with a very strong wind at the backs for the opening 30 minutes and their opponents would now have the benefit of that blustery advantage.

And the Kilcoole based side started like a train with two points from full-forward Shane Collins but Temple Carrig knuckled down after those excellent scores and clamped down in defence and proved clinical up front, adding a further 1-05 against the wind to kill off the Coláiste Chroabh Abhann challenge and secure the cup.

Against the wind in the opening half, Coláiste Chroabh Abhann struggled to make inroads into their opponent's territory and they squandered some chances on the occasions they did. Part of the reason for their difficulty was the performance of the Temple Carrig half-back line who virtually removed John-Paul Nolan and Oisin Taggart from the game such was the tight marking of Patrick O'Connell and Max Patrick Scully.

The Greystones outfit got a great boost early on when midfielder and captain Joseph Prendergast gathered on the run and fired home to the back of Dylan Cummins' net. This was quickly followed by a pointed free from James Nicholson.

Coláiste Chraobh Abhann gathered their thoughts but they couldn't finish at the other end, going wide on several occasions. A foul on Max Patrick Scully offered Temple Carrig with a chance to increase their lead and the very capable Oisin Shanahan fired over from the free. Shanahan added two more, one from a free, followed by a successful Colm Shortt effort and on the 20th minute the Greystones side lead by 1-05 to 0-00.

Samuel Bishop opened the Coláiste Chraobh Abhann account with a pointed free after Calum Archer was fouled and then the Kilcoole side got a massive boost when corner-forward Jack Coleman fired home to the back of Sean O'Neill's net.

A final pointed free from Shanahan left the half-time score at 1-06 to 1-01 with the expectation being that the Kilcoole outfit would come out all guns blazing and put that wind to good use as they set about clawing back the deficit.

And for the opening two minutes they did just that. Full-forward Shane Collins lashed over two quick points to make it a two-point game.

Temple Carrig attacked and a handling error left Shanahan with a chance from a free and the center-half forward obliged to lift the mini siege.

James Nicholson started to dominate around the middle and he pointed after six minutes before half-back Cian Evans pointed for the Kilcoole side.

Temple Carrig had adapted to playing against the wind much better than Coláiste Chraobh Abhann had in the opening half and after 12 minutes they more or less put the issue to bed when Christopher palmed in from a ball high across the square to make it 2-08 to 1-04.

There was no stopping the Greystones men then. Ruair Parker, Colm Shortt, and Joseph Prendergast all added further points to leave the Temple Carrig side run out convincing 2-11 to 1-04 victors.

Team captain Joseph Prendergast collect the cup from Jim Murphy to herald a significant success for the fledgling school. If progress continues then expect to see the Temple Carrig name on a Senior 'A' final match programme in the not too distant future.

Hard luck to Coláiste Chraobh Abhann. They battled from start to finish but they encountered a hungry and determined outfit on the day who made better use of the elements. No doubt they will be back again.

Interestingly, according to Jim Murphy in his post-match address, this was only the third time that a north Wicklow school had secured the 'A' first year crown since its inception in 1978.

Scorers - Temple Carrig: Oisin Shanahan 0-05 (4f); Joseph Prendergast 1-01; James Nicholson 0-02; Colm Shortt 0-02 (1f); Christopher Stewart 1-00; Ruairi Parker 0-01.

Coláiste Chraobh Abhann: Shane Collins 0-02; Cian Timmons 1-00; Samuel Bishop 0-01 (f); Cian Evans 0-01.

Temple Carrig: Sean O'Neill; Fionn Melia, Colm Condon, Spencer O'Connor; Patrick O'Connell, Max Patrick Scully, Niall Burke; James Nicholson, Joseph Prendergast; Ruairi Parker, Oisin Shanahan, Colm Shortt; Oisin Coffey, Mo Diaw, Christopher Stewart. Subs: Evan Cooke, Charlie Sullivan, Jack Wolohan, Callum Phelan, Keevan Doyle, Luke Dease, Michael Gray.

Coláiste Chraobh Abhann: Dylan Cummins; Seán Brady, Andrrw Waters, Ethan Mackey; Jason Reilly, Matt Nolan, Cian Evans; Josh Kavanagh Odlum, Samuel Bishop; Oisin Taggart, John-Paul Nolan, Ciarán Murphy; Charlie Frawley, Shane Collins, Cian Timmons. Subs: Paul Delahunty, Frankie Wedgeworth Byrne, Calum Archer, Ryan Bourke, Jack Coleman. Extra: Luke O'Reilly, Conor Cunningham, Adam Purcell, Paddy W-Byrne.

Referee: Pat Hickey

Wicklow People