Sunday 25 February 2018

Wicklow Rovers AFC

Action for the Senior teams was provided by the firsts and seconds with the third team having no game.

On Friday night the first team travelled to take on Parkvilla FC in the first round of the Gilligan Cup and were disappointed to fall at the first hurdle.

In truth they should take a good look at their disciplinary record of late as there is a pattern developing as the red mist descended on them again on Friday night.

This time the red card came early in play and left the team with an uphill task. Eventually they lost out by two goals to one with Ricki Quinn scoring their goal.

At the moment the team is in a bit of a slump but they are only losing games by the odd goal, at this level it's hard enough to win games with 11 players on the field never mind playing with 10.

The second team however had a more positive result. They took on joint league leaders Killester Utd and defeated them on a 2-1 score line.

This was a tight game between two committed teams, Rovers took the lead courtesy of an Aidan O'Neill penalty but a very good Killester side drew level to make it 1-1 at the break.

The crucial goal came with seven minutes left when Warren Gormley powerfully headed home a Rovers corner to give them all three points and in turn leap frog the visitors and Greystones Utd to the top of the league.

In the girls section the U-12s had a great 6-0 win away to Peamount Utd B in the second round of the MGL cup, leading scorer Niamh Caffrey helped herself to a hat-trick with singles from Amy Kavanagh, Clodagh Irwin and Emer McNulty completing the tally. The U- 14s lost 4-3 away to Lucan Utd in the second round of their cup. Jade Duffy must have felt a little unlucky as she netted a fantastic hat-trick and still ended up on the losing side. The U-16s lost 3-1 away to Broadford Rovers in the league with Kayleigh Sullivan getting the goal.

In the WDSL section there was a lot of cancellations. Of the games that were played our U-8Bs recorded an excellent 6-2 home win over St Patrick's A with the highlight a splendid four goals from Liam Burke, Tom Donoghue and Brian McCaul hit the other goals.

The U-9As had a narrow 2-1 away win over Arklow Utd with Conor Hunter and Calum Gibney hitting the back of the net.

The U-9Bs lost 6-0 to a very strong St Patrick's team. Our U-11As continued their quest for Division 1 honours with a 4-2 home victory over Wolfe Tone A.

Two U-10 players were on the score sheet here with Max Kearney getting a brace and Troy Sutton also scoring, Craig Anderson scored the fourth goal.

The U-11Bs title hopes suffered a setback when they lost out in a seven-goal thriller in the Hockey Pitch losing 4-3 to St Patrick's, Charlie Christie, Brian Hopkins and Jamie Noble all found the back of the net.

The U-13Bs recorded their first win of the season when they beat Arklow Utd 7-1, Stuart Cox hit a hat-trick with Stephen Finlay notching two and Dean Noble and Cormac Murray scoring one a piece.

The U-14As maintained their one hundred percent record in the Division 1 Shield when they defeated Wolfe Tone B 8-2 to qualify for the final.

Rory Dowling hit the back of the net four times followed closely by Shane Devlin who scored three, JJ Power scored the other.

The only other game played was the U-15As refixed National Cup game against Naas Utd. This game was originally due to be played in the Kildare teams ground but it was cancelled so it reverted to the Whitegates.

It was a closely fought game which the Kildare side won by two goals to nil. Rovers will feel they left this game behind them because they had the chances to win the game but failed to take them.

Even though a lot of games fell foul of the weather we still managed to have six players in the hat-trick club.

Niamh Caffrey (U-12 girls), Jade Duffy (U-14 girls), Liam Burke (U-8Bs), Stuart Cox (U-13Bs), Rory Dowling (U-14As) and Shane Devlin (U14As) all hit hat-tricks with Liam and Rory scoring four goals. Well done Niamh, Jade, Liam, Stuart, Rory and Shane.

Congratulations to our U-14As who qualified for the Division 1 Shield final after their 8-2 victory over Wolfe Tone B at the weekend.

Promoted Links

Promoted Links