Corr's future is secure at United
BARRY Corr is delighted to have secured his future with Southend United, but it has irked League Two rivals Burton Albion.
Albion were one of a number of clubs pursuing the Newcastle-born hotshot who penned a new two year deal recently. The 28 year old racked up 21 goals in his first season at Roots Hall but then spent 17 months on the sideline. Returning early in the 2012/13 season, Corr managed 13 goals in 42 appearances.
After signing the new contract, Corr expressed his delight at confirming the fact that he would remain with Phil Brown's side.
'I returned from my holiday on Sunday and I was flattered by some of the interest being shown in me.
'But I spoke with Phil Brown and Steve Kavanagh once I was back and they outlined the club's plans and I was very keen to sign a new deal.
'I'm glad it has all been resolved and I can now focus completely on pre-season and then help fire Southend to promotion.'
United are set to jet off to Madrid as part of their pre-season plans but had Albion had their way the talisman would be putting in the hard yards at Pirelli Park instead.
Albion chairman Ben Robinson was rather displeased not to have signed Corr after the Brewers had been led to believe that Corr was a free man.
'The player's agent had a dialogue with our manager and said the player would be a free agent at the end of June,' said Robinson.
'On that basis, Gary had a dialogue with them about terms. But when we looked into it, it wasn't as simple as that. The player had an option at Southend. If there had been a dispute, it would have gone to a tribunal, which would probably have taken three or four weeks to organise, and the season would have been almost upon us. With Barry, I just had to let it go and move on'.