Rathnew and Pat's taking CCC to Leinster Council
Wicklow GAA's CCC will spend an evening before Leinster Council next Monday when appeals from the St Patrick's and Rathnew GAA clubs regarding a league clash earlier this year is set to be heard in Portlaoise.
Both clubs refused to fulfill the fixture without their county players and despite coming up with alternatives that suited both clubs, Wicklow CCC declared that both teams would be deducted points in a sort of double walkover.
Rathnew GAA Club's Bobby Dignam says that the Wicklow CCC are showing "no respect towards clubs in the county who are providing players for county teams".
"We have bent over backwards, we have six with the county footballers, three with the hurlers, and we supplied four lads to the Wicklow Junior footballers. We are doing our best," said Bobby Dignam who said that his club were expected to face St Patrick's without nine players who were with the county teams.
County Chairman Martin Fitzgerald confirmed that the appeals will be heard on Monday night next. He said that neither club wanted to play the game without their county players and that they were appealing the awarding of walkovers against them both.
He also confirmed that four key league games scheduled for the very near future have been refixed for the weekend of June 27 due to Christy Ring and the All-Ireland qualifer. They are: Annacurra v Rathnew, Kiltegan v Baltinglass, AGB v Éire Óg and St Pat's v Rathnew.
It's been a very disappointing year so far in relation to fixtures. Just last week, 16 walkovers were given across three competitions with the Cup fixtures suffering from a chronic lack of interest while clubs are regularly struggling to field 15 players right across the county as the Wicklow GAA Review struggles to find its feet in rapidly changing terrain.