Wicklow People

| 7.4°C Dublin

Hat-trick helps St Peter's to comfortable win over Celtic

Soccer, Andy McEvoy Premier Division: Arklow Celtic 1 St Peter's 4


Killian O’Carroll scores St Peter’s first goal against Arklow Celtic in the Andy McEvoy Premier Division

Killian O’Carroll scores St Peter’s first goal against Arklow Celtic in the Andy McEvoy Premier Division

Killian O’Carroll scores St Peter’s first goal against Arklow Celtic in the Andy McEvoy Premier Division

St. Peter's quest for the Andy McEvoy Premier Division title continued on Sunday morning, as a hat-trick from Killian O'Carroll, and a goal off the bench by Chad Ryan put them on their way to a comfortable 4-1 win over Arklow Celtics.

At the end of a first-half in which Arklow struggled to mount anything in the way of offence for the entirety of the 45 minutes, St. Peter's accumulated a two-goal advantage thanks to an O'Carroll brace.

O'Carroll capped off his influential showing with his third in the second-half, after Chad Ryan had come off the bench to get a goal for himself.

David Moorehouse got a consolation goal for the hosts late on, but it would not stop St. Peter's from recording the straightforward victory.

Given their start to the top tier of the Wicklow League - eight wins from nine games - they were natural favourites when they visited Celtic Park on Sunday.

That tag would be rewarded right away, as they dominated every facet of the first-half.

Killian O'Carroll kicked off proceedings after just six minutes.

A cross from the left wing from Des Kelly arrived at O'Carroll's feet, and his shot flew past Eoin Kavanagh in the Arklow goal.

Peter's would continue to plough away at the Arklow rearguard; Dan Lacey and Tony Harris both having shots blocked.

It would not take long for Peter's to double their lead, however, and once again, it involved Des Kelly.

The full-back cut the ball back to O'Carroll on the edge of the box. He then cut inside, and fired a right-footed shot past Kavanagh to make it 2-0.

The second-half would start in much the same way that the first ended; St. Peter's piling pressure on a Arklow defence that were unable to break out.

Chad Ryan, brought on for Dan Lacey at half-time, had a shot bounce off the post from an O'Carroll cross, before Jamie Kelly had a curling effort from the left-hand side go wide of the top left corner.

Their efforts would not be in vain, as Chad Ryan eventually got their third.

Danny Byrne charged down the left-hand side before swinging a cross into the box from the by-line.

On hand was Chad Ryan, who made no mistake in heading the ball past Kavanagh for 3-0.

That goal came with 25 minutes left to play, leaving St. Peter's plenty of time to get a fourth.

Tony Harris traded a 1-2 with Ryan, before rounding Eoin Kavanagh, only for his resulting shot to be cleared off the line.

A couple of minutes later, St. Peter's had the fourth goal that their performance warranted.

O'Carroll weighed up a free-kick on the right-hand side. His delivery into the box eluded everybody; the ball going up and over the goalkeeeper's head into the back of the net for O'Carroll's hat-trick on 72 minutes.

Despite being on the receiving end of a dominant St. Peter's performance, Arklow did manage to grab a late consolation.

On 74 minutes, Andrew Farrell's attempted lob over Niall Vaughan in the St. Peter's goal was extravagantly tipped over the bar by the 'keeper. From the resulting corner, Vaughan flapped at the delivery, at which point the ball landed at the foot of David Moorehouse, who flashed a shot into the corner.

Arklow Celtic: Eoin Kavanagh; David Kenny, Andrew Reilly, Peter Tyrrell, Jason Wolohan, Andrew Farrell, Brian Thompson, David Moorehouse, Kevin O'Regan, Gerry Sheehan, Sean Garvey. Subs used: Conor Doyle,

St. Peter's: Niall Vaughan; Sean McAteer, Des Kelly, Dean Fletcher, Mick Taylor, Noely Stephens, Dan Lacey, Tony Harris, Danny Byrne, Killian O'Carroll, Jamie Kelly. Subs used: Chad Ryan, Mark O'Sullivan, Darren Lacey, Seán Doyle.

Referee: Michael Kennedy.

Online Editors