Sunday 18 February 2018

Worthy victory for cool St Pat's

St Patrick's scored a fine win over Laragh in the Campus Football League Division 3 clash which was played in very cold conditions as the east wind swept in from the sea at Dunbur Park on Saturday evening last.

Laragh made the trip to Wicklow Town hoping to keep their unbeaten run intact having recorded wins over Ashford and Newcastle, while the winners had scored a first round victory over Bray Emmets while their second round game with Ashford was postponed due to recent weather conditions.

The end result saw the more experienced side emerge victorious but only after they survived a rally by the Glendalough men which saw Mark Miley score a brace late of goals, with this player's pedigree behind him he must have a bright future ahead on the playing fields.

The Wicklow town side won the toss and elected to play against the strong wind in the opening half took the game to the opposition which saw dual player Johnny Carton open the scoring with a point from a free after three minutes. A Laragh rally resulted in them scoring two points in row from Christopher Merrigan, one from a free.

At this stage St Patrick's upped the tempo and with a excellent goalkeeper, a solid defence, and a hard working midfield pairing of Mark Donoghue and Joe Quinn, a good supply of ball was guaranteed to the forwards.

With Jordan Pettigrew and James Kavanagh causing havoc in the Laragh defence they were forced to foul which proved costly as ace free taker Johnny Carton slotted over four points in a row which saw the winners leading on a score of 0-05 to 0-02 after 24 minutes.

A typical Laragh rally resulted in a point each from John Nolan and Christopher Merrigan who could have a goal were in not for a super save from Pat's goalie Simon Alexander.

St Patrick's received a moral boost before the break which saw John Crowe solo through the Laragh defence to score a goal and followed up with a point from a free from Johnny Carton to close the first half scoring at 1-06 to 0-06 in favour of the winners.

Once the impressive James Kavanagh pointed a 45 after half time St Patrick's took complete control and went on to add single points through Mark Conway, James Kavanagh (45), and substitute Tommy Delahunt while Jordan Pettigrew scored a brilliant goal and followed up with a point which gave the winners a commanding lead of 2-11 to 0-06 with eight minutes left to play.

A late rally saw Laragh score two goals from Mark Miley in what was only a mini-resurgence but it was a little to late to have any bearing on the result. Before the end Johnny Carton and Christopher Merrigan exchanged points which left St Patrick's worthy winners in a good solid all round team performance and there is no doubt that both sides will meet much stiffer opposition in league and championship during the rest of the year.

Wicklow People

Promoted Links

Promoted Links