Thursday 22 March 2018

St Pat's hold out for great success over Glenealy

The opening round of the Spring Hurling League saw St Patrick's and Glenealy meet at Wicklow town on Sunday morning last.

It might have being little too close for comfort towards the end as Glenealy sought much needed scorers to draw level but nothing could detract from St Patrick's achievement as they held out for a three-point victory in a game that was played in sporting manner.

On balance the winners proved the stronger combination overall and gained a massive return from ace free taker John Connors with nine points to his credit while Glenealy's

Gavin Weir showed his skills by accounting for eight point of his side's total.

The scores were level at two points each in the opening minutes of this game with John Connors and George O'Brien scoring for the winners, Gavin Weir and Daniel Staunton replied for the county champions.

With aid of the strong wind blowing into the town St Patrick's raised their game and impressed with their combination play which resulted in James Quirke's side scoring four points in row through John Connors (two frees) and singles from Andrew Conway and George O'Brien while Glenealy replied with points from Gavin Weir and Lee Kavanagh which left the score at 0-06 to 0-04 after 20 minutes.

After both sides missed scoring chances the Wicklow town side upped their game once more and were rewarded with a point from John Connors from a placed ball while George O'Brien added another from play and then following good work by Robin Mooney who forced a great save from Joey Driver for a 65 saw John Connors pointing which left the half time score 0-09 to 0-04 in favour of the winners.

The second half started off with Gavin Weir and John Connors exchanging points both from frees and at this stage Glenealy set about reducing the deficit and were rewarded with four points from Gavin Weir, one from play, and were also denied a goal when Eoin O'Mahoney brought off a brilliant save from Jamie Byrne.

The winners took the game to their opponents once more which saw they land four points from John Connors (two frees) and from John O'Brien which left the score 0-13 to 0-08.

In typical Glenealy fashion they rallied once more and were rewarded with four points through Gavin Weir (two) and singles from Enan Glynn and John Manley to reduce the lead to a single score of 0-13 to 0-12.

The final six minutes was close and exciting and even though St Patrick's were to stay in front all the way they had many anxious moments but their defence stood firm and not for the first time during this game Eoin O'Mahoney proved his worth with some super saves. Midfielder Shane Doyle inspired his colleagues as they pushed on with two frees from John Connors to clinch a victory which they fully deserved.

Scorers for St Patrick's: John Connors 0-09 (1 45); George O'Brien 0-03; John O'Brien 0-02; Andrew Conway 0-01.

Scorers for Glenealy: Gavin Weir 0-08 (6f); Daniel Staunton 0-01; Lee Kavanagh 0-01; Enan Glynn 0-01; John Manley 0-01.

Wicklow People