Tuesday 12 December 2017

Rathnew trounce poor Lacken

IN sharp contrast to the Enniskerry v Baltinglass game the Rathnew v Lacken match was played in near ideal conditions on the new revamped pitch in Valleymount on Friday evening.

This match was originally fixed for Rathnew on Saturday but date, time and venue was changed by agreement.

However a number of Rathnew players lost their way and had difficulty finding the pitch and the referee John White put back the starting time for half an hour.

No one was the least bit worried. It was a lovely evening and the little Lakeside grounds was looking splendid and what better place to spend an extra half hour.

Unfortunately the game itself did not match the setting. It became quite evident from early on that the decline in the standards of football in Lacken is continuing.

They have a few good young players, but not enough and old warriors no longer have the legs. Paul was the only one of the Phibbs brothers on the starting 15.

He was playing at midfield and did all one man could do to lift the team. The Broe family were also down to one - Thomas, a player who at one time was called on to a county panel but again he was not able to lift a struggling forward line.

Richard Doyle got Rathnew on the score sheet in the sixth minute but Paul Phibbs kicked a point for Lacken and the sides were level for the only time.

Keith Doyle scored the first of Rathnew's five goals in the 8th minute and slowly but surely the team wearing green and red pulled away.

James Hunter scored the first of his two goals in the 25th minute; Jordan Graham, Jason Stafford, a brother of great club and county midfielder James and Robert Doyle landed points.

Meanwhile points by Paul Phibbs, Johnny Gallagher and Mick Byrne were keeping Lacken in touch.

The most noteworthy score of the match came when goalie Stephen Doyle did a Stephen Cluxton act and came up field to drive over a point from a 45

Half time - Rathnew 2-6; Lacken 0-4.

Lacken were not completely out of the running at that stage; they were turning over to play down the hill and into the scoring goal and we felt that a few scores early on could bring them back.

However it was Rathnew who again hit the ground running with Jason Stafford kicking the first point and James Hunter driving home a goal and it was over as a contest.

Erek Doyle and Jordan Graham added on more goals and while Paul Phibbs pulled one back for Lacked it did no more than put a better look on the scoreboard.

Hard to say how good this Rathnew team is; they have a nice blend of youth and experience and could do well in this grade.

Wicklow People

Promoted Links

Promoted Links